Senior Electrical Engineer
Eaton’s Industrial Controls division is currently seeking a Senior Electrical Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Bothell, WA facility.
The Senior Electrical Engineer is responsible for design, development, simulation, and test of analog and digital electronic products for the Sensors and Motor Protection product lines, with an emphasis on Sensors. These activities include analog and digital hardware design, firmware design / implementation, and troubleshooting these types of designs. Primary responsibilities include technical execution and support of new product development, existing products and cost-out initiatives. The Senior Electrical Engineer will participate in all phases of the new product development lifecycle, including: definition, concept, prototype, design, validation, release for manufacturing, sustaining, and cost-out.
The Sensors Design Center is located in Bothell, WA at the Canyon Park Business Center. This location houses the engineering and marketing functions for the sensors product line, also containing several thousand square feet of test laboratories for verification / validation of new product designs, sustaining existing products and cost optimizing products based on new technologies. The Canyon Park business center is part of a master-planned business community with convenient access to Interstate 405 and Interstate 5. There are many restaurants, hotels, condominiums and shopping venues near this location. Located 25 miles from Seattle, and approximately 100 miles from the USA / Canadian Border, this location offers a wealth of opportunities for outdoor activities (walking, running, hiking, cycling, skiing, camping, fishing and much more).
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will support aspects of electrical design and verification / validation related to new product development and product line extensions, following a stage-gate process
- You will manage electrical design aspects of product line support associated with major product lines including photo, inductive, limit switch, and protective relays and perform electrical design work (utilizing Dx Designer or similar design tools) and electrical simulation (utilizing PSPICE or similar PC based simulation tools)
- You will create and modify firmware for microcontroller-based products and partner closely with PCB designers on circuit board layouts to optimize component placement, layout for design intent and EMC requirements
- You will work closely with Marketing and Original Equipment Manufacturers (OEM’s) to gather requirements to jointly develop product specifications
- You will complete appropriate technical documentation for new product development and existing product support as well as perform and supervise testing to verify functional requirements and compliance to applicable standards
- You will work with manufacturing, customers and suppliers to support needs of new and existing product and drive engineering cost reductions in existing products
- You will create breakdown of work required to complete complex tasks, including time and cost estimates
- You will conduct failure analysis using proven methods to drive to the root cause of the problem. Work effectively with manufacturing, quality, field sales and end customer during both troubleshooting and resolution verification process.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s or Masters degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience in product development of electrical and/or electromechanical systems
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now and in the future.
- Relocation is not provided. Candidates must be currently residing within a 50 mile radius of the Bothell, WA site.
- Masters Degree in Electrical Engineering
- Knowledge of inductive transducer design
- Knowledge of photoelectric sensor design
- Design for Six Sigma training/certification
- Knowledge of functional safety and application to electrical design
- Experience with working with manufacturing team to bring product to market
- Experience working with remote design and manufacturing locations
- Familiarity with electrical engineering test equipment (oscilloscopes, power supplies, function generators)
- Knowledge of electrical design tools (PCAD, Dx Designer, Pads or similar)
- Knowledge of electrical simulation tools (PSPICE or similar)
- Background in designing analog circuitry with discrete components
- Experience programming 8-bit MCU’s for both digital and analog interfaces
- Planning and scheduling of development testing (scheduling test labs, designing test equipment, designing and building test harnesses, creating test strategies for both validation and production testing, writing procedures and reports)
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Good understanding of the environmental effects on electronics in harsh environments.
- Ability to work in a dynamic customer market environment.
- Creating and maintaining electronic documentation for manufacturing.
- Ability to supporting manufacturing with part substitutions and other manufacturing concerns. May require rapid prototyping to evaluate potential solutions.
- Maintaining various software tools (C compilers, programming environments, programming stations, serial data networks).
- Ability to effectively collaborate with more senior (Lead, Specialist, Chief) engineers in area of their specific expertise.
- Ability to work with remote design centers to leverage resources.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD ICD Industrial Controls Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time