The Mechanical Design Engineering Manager is responsible for the supervision of the NPI/NPD engineering team. Manage resources to accomplish on time delivery of new product developments, lead product efficiency improvements. Work with other functions to develop product roadmap, manage capital expenses
- Review and approve all major development requests and recommends projects to be pursued based on technical and economic feasibility.
- Review the progress of all projects, takes corrective actions if necessary, keeps management informed and seeks approval of significant changes in project status.
- Prepare the annual budget for the department and assists other departments in their budget preparation.
- Ensure products are designed within the manufacturing capability of the plant, and are cost effective. Also assures that products perform within or exceed UL requirements or other applicable standards.
- Ensure that communication to all affected takes place during design and development activities. Assures that all functions, such as environmental health and safety, are notified as to pending changes for review regarding potential issues.
- Review the development process and provides ways to increase productivity in an effort to lower new product development costs.
- Coordinate activities with divisional marketing, manufacturing and engineering functions. Studies and consider trends in the product markets.
- Coordinate management of on-site UL test lab, ensuring compliance to UL and CSA specific requirements for tests performed and employees conducting tests.
- Keep up to date on the legal aspects of product safety and liability as well as competitive products and situations including patents and patentability and assists in defense in product liability cases if necessary.
- Bachelor degree in mechanical engineering, electromechanical or electrical engineering from accredited institution.
- Minimum of 3 years of experience in engineering management/supervisory role
- Minimum of 5 years’ experience in engineering design role
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Master degree from accredited institution in mechanical engineering, electromechanical engineering, or a related field.
- Experience in methods and good industrial engineering practices.
- 3 or more years experience in Project Management
- Must have managerial ability and good communication skills.
- Knowledge of UL, CSA and/or other regulatory agencies.
- Knowledge of the development of IoT products/tools.
- Six Sigma Green Belt Certification
- Computer knowledge: MS Office, Familiarity with Simulations, CAD tools – PROE, SolidWorks, AutoCAD, or equivalent (and drawing interpretation skills), AS400
- Knowledge of SPC (Statistical Process Control)
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Working knowledge of corporate, division and plant policies and procedures.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG RWDD Residential Wiring Devices Div
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time