Senior Motor Engineer
Eaton’s Fuel & Motion Control Systems division, a part of our Aerospace group, is currently seeking a Senior Motor Engineer to join our team. This position can be based out of either our Jackson, MS or Grand Rapids, MI offices.
The Senior Motor Engineer is responsible for motor topology selection and electromagnetic design of motors for aerospace hydraulic pumps (i.e. AC induction and Brushless DC, with Brushless DC expected to be the primary architecture for new programs). In this role, you will report to the Electrical Engineering Manager within the Motors Center of Excellence. You will support development of new technology for aerospace hydraulic pumps.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will participate in new product development teams to provide motor expertise in architecture trade off studies
- You will assist in and provide recommendations for motor types and motor sizing with collaboration from product team and electronic motor controller team
- You will be responsible for electromagnetic design of Brushless DC and/or AC induction motors using magnetic modeling tools
- You will develop and manage requirements and compliance for motors
- You will assist in motor packaging and mechanical design with mechanical engineering and drafting resources
- You will recommend development testing for motors, write development test procedures and reports, support the test engineering group for performing the testing
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Minimum of one year of experience in motor design
Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now and in the future
This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- At least three years’ experience with motor design
- Experience in the magnetic design of brushless DC motors and knowledge of brushed DC and induction motors is highly desirable.
- Understanding of magnetic modeling tools (lumped parameters and Electromagnetic FE) for motor performance (e.g. Ansys RMxprt and Maxwell 2D & 3D, Speed, etc).
- Understanding of motor manufacturing methods and processes
- Proficient in Microsoft Office applications and web based information and documentation systems
- Ability to build close relationships with key personnel within key customers to enhance sales volume, customer satisfaction and long term business prospects.
- Ability to work on cross functional teams and across different sites and time zones.
- Ability to define problems, analyze data and draw valid conclusions that result in solid recommendations.
- Ability to work both independently and in a team environment
- Ability to demonstrate a high level of energy and personal drive.
- Ability to demonstrate strong project management and organization skills.
- Ability to demonstrate strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence and technical documents.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER HQ SLS
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time