Senior Mechanical Design Engineer
Eaton’s Power Components division is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Design Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Moon Township, PA facility.
The Senior Design Engineer will perform product design engineering for Eaton’s Low Voltage Industrial Circuit Breaker product lines. Primary focus is to ensure function, performance margin and design robustness of Molded Case Circuit Breaker (MCCB) and Air Circuit Breaker (ACB) products. Responsibilities include new product design and development, validating design concepts, obtaining & maintaining third party certifications product launch phases, ensuring functional requirements are met, supporting the resolution of industrialization yield and quality issues, performance enhancements to improve existing products, validating changes in design or manufacturing, validating cost reductions (VA/VE), addressing application issues, and product line support through completion of product launch process. The position interfaces with regional and global teams in design, manufacturing, product line marketing, and quality departments, as well as customers. The individual will lead design responsibility for select projects from inception through validation and production implementation.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will compile, study, and reconcile product requirements and standards, and perform team-based product design, development, validation and documentation of product designs, using PRO-Launch stage-gate new product development system.
- You will utilize statistical quality tools to establish performance baselines and identify focus areas for product performance enhancements and robustness improvements for new product development or product line support.
- You will perform and leverage component & system level modelling / simulation activities and initiate changes into new and existing component design.
- You will perform tolerance and sensitivity analysis on system and components to optimize dimensions and specifications on product drawings.
- You will enhance design & performance margin while driving product robustness. Address third party testing non-conformances and implement design & specification improvements to prevent nonconformance which disrupt divisional product sales and delivery.
- You will work closely with manufacturing teams and key processes owners (assembly, welding, calibration, feeders, supply chain, etc.) to understand basic operation and ensure capability.
- You will assist in establishing control plans, component & process verifications and defining critical-to-quality characteristics.
- You will generate test plans and lead test efforts with test lab techs and engineers to validate design concepts, prototypes, performance changes/enhancements, VA/VE changes, and SCM material change requests to determine if design criteria are met and upheld.
- You will build
prototypes and models where necessary and perform relevant testing in lab
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 2 or more years’ experience working in mechanical or electromechanical systems design
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now and in the future.
- Experience with Six-Sigma quality tools
- General knowledge of product design for cost-effective manufacture, working knowledge of applicable regulatory standards.
- Computer skills. Experience with Pro/Engineer Creo, and computer-based simulation modeling (static stress, thermal, kinematics/dynamics, tolerance, etc.).
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Learn and integrate Design For Six Sigma, CeTol, GD&T, simulation & modeling software, and phase-gate development processes for circuit breaker design and development activities.
- Participate in the development of production tooling and assembly fixtures to enable error-proof and cost effective production of circuit breakers.
- Develop strong technical knowledge in circuit breaker design, testing and applications along with the applicable governing regulatory standards (UL, CSA, IEC, NEMA, etc.).
- Utilize communication skills to clarify requirements, present design reviews, deploy designs and instructions, communicate application information and coordinate with project teams.
- Engage with the product line teams and suggest product or process improvements to existing platforms. Develop skills and participate in collaboration with other functions or external partners to accomplish the project goals.
- Understand and comply with site specific electrical test lab equipment and procedures, including health, safety and security aspects.
- Identify and prioritize projects to systematically eliminate potential issues during new product design or trouble shooting existing product performance.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CPD PCD Power Components Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time