Senior Product Engineer
Eaton’s Aerospace Division is hiring a Senior Product Engineer. The Senior Product Engineer will be based from our Beltsville, MD facility.
As a member of the Product Design Group, the Senior Engineer is a technical lead for the design, development and qualification of new Aerospace products for aircraft fluid conveyance joints. The Joints team handles the full lifecycle of products from research, new product development to sustaining engineering. The Senior Engineer is responsible for performing and supporting various phases of product design, analysis and validation, starting from the customer’s preliminary specifications, to final customer approval and full rate production; including product line extension, failure analysis, product validation, prototype coordination, and follow up of project status.
This role reports to Engineering Manager, Low Pressure Joints Technology. The role requires the ability to apply sound engineering principles, practical problem solving, and phase gated engineering tools in an organized and timely way. Projects will focus on Fuel Business Unit Products. There will be opportunities to flex to the full lifecycle of the adjacent product lines, so lessons learned and product expertise can be leveraged to IR&D.
In a supportive engineering team environment, applies sound engineering principles and practice to lead sustaining engineering tasks relating to design, analysis, fabrication, modification and evaluation of mechanical parts.
Performs prototype testing and evaluations, root cause analysis on products and design/production processes; Participates in sustaining engineering tasks and projects with significant scope and complexity
Contributes to the development of standard work to improve department efficiency and effectiveness, as well as the creation of design guidelines
Leads new product development of additively/composite manufactured applications for the joints product line. This includes defining test procedures and setups for development, acceptance, and qualification testing. Coordinating with Test Labs, monitoring testing and analyzing data to assure compliance to the established requirements.
Performs drawing reviews through the Engineering Change Order (ECO) process, conducts design reviews under the direction of the assigned technical leader. Ensures timely and accurate execution of ECOs
Leads DFMEA efforts for sustaining activities and ensures follow up on the actions from the DFMEA; Participates in PFMEA efforts
Motivates and educates site engineering on using additive manufacturing to solve tough technical problems.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering from an accredited institution
- 1 to 3 years of experience in mechanical design.
- Prior experience in New Product Development, Sustaining Engineering, and/or Research and Development.
- Ability to effectively develop 3D CAD models and drafting MIL-STD- 100.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on an ongoing basis without sponsorship .
- All positions require use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in arms regulations. All applicants must be U.S. Persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. Person as a U.S.Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident, Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates that currently reside within a 50 mile radius of Beltsville, MD facility will be considered.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Ability to effectively document and present results of technical activities
- Knowledge of Computer Aided Design (CAD) and Finite Element Analysis (FEA).
- Knowledge of industry and customer specific quality processes (i.e., ISO9001, AS9100 etc).
- Knowledge of product and end user application/specifications, including product testing requirements. (design/process interface).
- Familiarity with new development products and interaction with customers.
- Familiarity with problem solving methodologies used in determining root cause and formulating corrective action(s) - i.e. thought maps, 8D, root cause analysis, Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis, Gage R & R, control charts, Pareto charts, etc.
- Familiarity with Aerospace Material Review Board and non-conformance concessions approval processes.
- Familiarity with Design for Six Sigma (DFSS) concepts and tools as they relate to minimizing process / product variability – i.e. regression analysis, design of experiments, hypothesis testing, etc.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Aerospace or Mechanical Engineering
- Three years of experience in mechanical design of sealed conveyance components or systems (tubes, ducting, rigid and flexible joints and couplers, flanges)
- Ability to interpret technical and regulatory specifications and convert requirements to qualifying actions including analysis, similarity, and testing
- Proficiency in CATIA v5 and PROEngineer Wildfire
- Proficiency in Product Data Management systems for document control and workflow management (ENOVIA is a plus)
- Ability to perform preliminary structural and mechanical analysis through FEA and/or kinematic simulation.
- Understanding of fluid conveyance related products, manufacturing techniques, and material science
- Training or certification in Lean 6-sigma methods preferred
- Ability to organize information, produce well written reports and prepare technical presentations
- Develop and release Acceptance Test Procedures (ATP’s), Qualification Test Plans (QTP’s), and support Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) conformity efforts, and manage all Failure Reporting and Corrective Action System (FRACAS) activities with the customer during qualification test program.
- DFSS: FEA/FEM experience, testing, Green Belt, DOE Design of Experiments
- Testing and Certification of Aerospace Components. RTCA - DO160
- Ability to effectively document and present results of technical activities. Design, analyze and optimize products capable of meeting customer requirements and industry standards through the use of existing, modified, and/or new designs;
- Provide on-site support during physical verification of analytic methods at test lab(s) to ensure successful product qualification test program;
- Interact and consult with various OPEX teams to ensure smooth industrialization transition of technology from development to production;
- Contribute to successful project completion by participating in the resolution of issues such as conflicting design requirements, unsuitability of standard material, and difficult coordination issues.
- Support product manufacturing through resolutions of Engineering Change Requests
- Knowledge of AS1650, AS7510, AS1710, and Aerospace Fluid Conveyance a plus
Eaton is a power management company with 2015 sales of $20.9 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 97,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com. At Eaton, we see things differently. We see opportunities to innovate, go above and beyond, and we work hard because what we do reflects who we are. If you see things differently—if you’re determined, motivated and focused on improving the world around you—then it’s time to see where a career at Eaton can take you. For more information, visit www.eaton.com/careers. Eaton is an Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer. Eaton is committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER FED Fluid Electrical Distribution
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time