Lead EHS Engineer
Eaton’s Crouse-Hinds Electrical Sector is currently seeking a Lead EHS Engineer for First Shift to join our team. This position is based at our Syracuse, New York facility.
The Lead EHS Engineer provides environmental, health, safety, and security leadership to the Eaton site. In this role you will be accountable for directing EHS activities at the Syracuse location. You will establish EHS objectives and targets; internal reporting of EHS performance; communication of national, area, and local regulatory requirements, and you will ensure documents are available in the local languages.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will maintain site ISO/OHSAS certifications; assuring accurate and complete EHS reporting of metrics; assuring closure of MESH and regulatory agency findings on a timely basis; completion of required training for EHS personnel; managing interfaces with the public and governmental authorities with adverse findings and enforcement actions; directing actions during crises; site security, creating a strong EHS culture that engages employees throughout the site in EHS teams and processes
- You will manage and direct the site in achieving EHS targets & objectives. You will direct development, maintenance, and achievement of goals in support of corporate and business group EHS strategic initiatives.
- You will facilitate risk assessment at the location to identify critical EHS hazards and aspects. You will work with the leadership team to create targets and objectives based on key EHS risks.
- You will determine appropriate leading and lagging indicators to track performance against targets and objectives.
- You will support creation of EHS goals for the site manager and appropriate activity based goals for the leadership team, functional managers, and front-line supervisors to drive EHS culture, compliance, and results.
- You will work to assign MESH element champions and facilitate their engagement in ownership of the MESH elements.
- You will drive and promote zero incident EHS culture throughout site.
- You will create and facilitate EHS engagement through EHS teams and committees needed to accomplish the established targets and objectives for the year.
- You will pursue third party recognition for programs that establish the site and Eaton’s EHS program as world class.
Wh When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
• Bachelor’s Degree from an accredited institution
• Minimum 3 years of prior Environmental, Health, or Safety experience or a combination of those functions
• Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
• No relocation provided. Candidates must reside within a 50 mile radius from the Syracuse, NY facility to be considered
• Four (4) year degree in occupational safety, industrial hygiene, environmental discipline or equivalent.
• Advanced degree or professional certification (Certified Safety Professional, Certified Industrial Hygienist, Certified Hazardous Materials Manager, or country equivalent where available) -encouraged, or candidate must have willingness to pursue.
• 3+ years of experience with an emphasis in environmental, health and safety program management and employee training
• Experience dealing with Foundry Operations a plus
• Experience working in a Unionized setting
• Proficient with MS Office
Position Success Criteria:
• Comprehension of Eaton, industry, state, and country EHS requirements.
• Strong team-building skills
• Strong organizational skills
• Adept at utilization of company-wide system for reporting EHS data and information
• Ability to demonstrate managerial courage (e.g., managing varied interests representing potential conflicts)
• Ability to lead and support cross-functional EHS teams#LI-SR1
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Job: Environmental Health & Safety
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG CHD EP Americas
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time