IoT Software Engineering Specialist - Cloud Development
Eaton’s Vehicle division is seeking a Software Engineering IoT Specialist (Cloud Development) to join our team. The position will be based at our Galesburg, MI or Southfield, MI facility.
The Software Engineering Specialist (Cloud Development) is responsible for providing rapid and efficient creation and operation of high value-added products, systems, and services for customers of all Eaton Industrial sector businesses. A key part of this solution is delivering customer facing applications utilizing latest in cloud, big data, and IoT technologies from Microsoft and other partners. As a Software Engineering Specialist, you will be involved in device connectivity, edge computing, dynamics software updates, data ingestion, big data storage, data analytics and end user portals that support all cloud development related to our IoT strategic plan. Although Eaton is an established company with a diverse product portfolio, this IoT development exhibits many of the characteristics of a start-up initiative.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
You will work with your team and others to guide, manage, and plan the architecture, design, and implementation of an Internet of Things solutions from beginning to end at all life cycle stages. Development will be primarily in C#, F#, and Python.
You will write high-quality, clean, highly-performant, and adopt test development and agile practices.
You will guide, manage and execute agile work plans for iterative and incremental project delivery.
You will oversee test teams to ensure adequate and appropriate test case coverage; investigate and fix bugs; create automated test scripts.
You will make strategic choices about software tools, technologies and practices to create value efficiently and effectively.
You will collaborate directly with engineering manager to aid in talent selection, technical roadmaps, equipment and project planning.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelors of Science Degree in computer science or engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 7 years of experience with Internet of Things (IoT) or delivering cloud enabled products (ex: Cloud, Microsoft Azure, Google Could, Amazon Web Services, GE Predicts, etc.).
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without sponsorship now and in the future.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- 4+ years’ experience developing enterprise grade, highly scalable web-based applications and/or distributed systems.
- 3+ years of experience in Microsoft technologies, Development experience with Microsoft Azure a plus.
- 3+ years in teams applying modern agile software development practices such as SCRUM, etc.
- Knowledge of Continuous Integration (CI) /Continuous Delivery (CD) concepts, tools, and technologies.
- Experience with F# or another functional/hybrid programming language.
- Knowledge of mobile development tools for iOS and Android.
- Knowledge of security concepts such as encryption, certificates, and key management.
Position Success Criteria:
- Willing to travel up to 10% of the time.
- Expert knowledge in Java or C# and associated IDE’s (Visual Studio, Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc.).
- Working knowledge of software design, algorithms, data structures, and multithreading concepts.
- Working knowledge of object oriented design and programming skills, including the use of design patterns; ability to work with multi-layered, loosely-coupled, service-oriented libraries and applications.
- Solid understanding of functional programming, including functional composition, pure functions, totality, immutability, and recursion.
- Demonstrated excellence in verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively explain technical concepts.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH Vehicle Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time