Electrical Engineering Specialist-eMobility
Eaton’s eMobility division is currently seeking an Electrical Engineering Specialist-eMobility to join our team. This position is based at our Tualatin, OR facility. Relocation is available.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all of our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world.
Our eMobility segment is currently seeking a Specialist Electrical Design Engineer to join our dynamic, New Product Introduction team. This position takes ownership of designing hybrid electric and electric vehicle power management solutions by leading cross-functional, global teams and collaborating across the organization.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will define and lead the most challenging technical projects in a self-directed manner, perform challenging assignments with minimal guidance, understand the business impact of your decisions, and mentor other engineers.
- You will be knowledgeable in hybrid and electric vehicle electronics, and work with customers to provide innovative and valuable system, subsystem, and component level solutions to their vehicle challenges.
- You will identify market trends and develop product technology strategies to satisfy the future needs of our customers, while driving profitable business growth.
- You will prepare new project estimates and possess the ability to generate the project scope, effort, schedule, risks, product cost, and program costs.
- You will take a systems approach and work with customers to establish product requirements, manage risk in design, develop validation plans, and ensure product reliability.
- You will develop and successfully launch new innovative products, using the Eaton PROLaunch stage-gate process, on time, on budget, and to project scope.
- You will complete appropriate technical documentation for your designs including schematics, analysis documentation, PCB layouts, BOMs, DFMEA’s, DVP&R’s, theory of operations documents, and users manuals.
- You will research and introduce new tools to the company to increase product development team capability, make product development more efficient, and to make manufacturing more profitable
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 5 years experience in product development of electronic and/or electromechanical systems
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship on an ongoing basis.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee
- 7 or more years’ experience in new product development in electrical and electromechanical systems
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or equivalent technical field required, Masters preferred
- Expert in power management and DC power electronics design
- Experience supervising engineering activities required (assembly drawings, PCB layout, prototype builds, software development, validation testing)
- Power electronics design for electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems preferred (switch-mode power supplies, DC/DC converters, motor drives, management systems, design strategies for EMC, etc.)
- Experience with model based design methods preferred (SPICE, Simplis, Ansys, Altium, Matlab/Simulink)
- Experience with Altium or Allegro PCB design tools preferred
- Experience with ST, Renesas, TI, Microchip, Atmel microprocessor families preferred
- Working knowledge of automotive serial data protocols (CAN J1939, J1587, J1708, LIN, VCAN, FCAN, CANOpen etc.) and tools (CANape, CANalyzer, etc.) preferred
- Experience with C, C#, C++ and embedded programming preferred
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Define and perform to program schedule
- Define and manage expenses to program plan
- Define and manage capital to program plan
- Define product costs in the RFQ stage, and develop products to target
- Technical decisions and recommendations across multiple product lines effecting $350M sales
- Decisions and judgements that impact project and capital spend, make-buy decisions, production planning, and factory expenses
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time