Senior Application Engineer – Modular Data Center Solutions
Eaton’s Electrical Engineering Services & Systems division is currently seeking an Application Engineer – Modular Solutions. This position will be based in our Raleigh, NC, Austin, TX, Southfield, MI, Glendale Heights, IL, Atlanta, GA, San Francisco, CA, City of Industry, CA, or Bellevue WA office or remotely from a home office in the U.S. that is within 30 miles of an airport as this role will require travel.
Eaton’s Modular Solutions Program is a dynamic and growing segment with the larger EESS organization. The Modular Solutions Program includes Modular Integrated Transportable Substations (MITS) and low voltage critical (UPS-centric) and non-critical enclosures & skids. As Eaton looks to grow this segment, the Modular Solutions Product Line has an opening for an Application Engineer – Modular Solutions.
This position will report to the Project Support & Modular Solutions Manager. This position will be the technical lead for assigned opportunities during proposal stage as well as during the engineering design phase of a customer order. This role will mentor under lead application engineers within the team.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- Interpret project specifications and provide a detailed specification response with support from lead application engineers; assist Sales with technical proposals/bid packages.
- Create proposals for projects and provide input to Pricing Approvals and Deal Strategy Reviews for projects that meet the criteria (e.g. order value, complexity).
- Be a liaison for the Modular Solutions business to customers, both internal and external.
- Interface with vendors and purchasing team on requesting quotes. Develop vendor requirements as part of RFQ to vendors. Review pricing and technical response of vendors to ensure scope of supply is well defined and adequately addressed in bid.
- In the absence of firm customer specifications or design, be able to perform engineering system design for customized modular solutions to include low voltage or medium voltage electrical equipment as required to meet basic customer requirements.
- Provide support for testing and inspections both at the factory, at integrators, and at customer sites as needed.
- Ability to present training and/or guidance to customers on the operation and maintenance of the supplied modular solution.
- Interface with Project Execution team for system applications and order summary information.
- Support technical presentations and development of new specifications with customer technical staff.
- Provide technical assistance (including warranty request) after order receipt & interface with the plant and global services as necessary
- Lead the technical execution of assigned projects in partnership with the assigned Project Manager for project hand-off and technical support during the project.
- Contribute to Modular Solutions technology roadmap
- Contribute feedback on form, fit, function of proposed designs in design reviews
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Associates Degree from an accredited institution OR military experience required
- Minimum of 5 years of electrical power systems and/or uninterrupted power supply (UPS) experience
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee
- No relocation is provided. Candidates must reside within 50 miles of the locations listed or a home office in the US
- Must be legally authorized to work in the U.S. without company sponsorship.
- Bachelor of Science in Electrical or Mechanical Engineering from an accredited intuition
- Sales experience or equivalent experience translating customer requirements into solutions
- 3-year’s hands on experience in low voltage electrical distribution design.
- Experience integrating equipment on skids, trailers and/or enclosures
- Experience in writing and reviewing subcontractor work scopes
- Experience with equipment specification software or product feature selection software
- Must meet access requirements for government facilities.
- Possess and maintain a valid and unrestricted driver’s license
- Submit to periodic customer required background and drug screenings.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG EESSD Electrical Engrg Svcs Systems Div
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time