Lead Mechanical Engineer - New Product Development
Eaton’s Lighting Division is looking for a Lead Mechanical Engineer to join our team! This position will be based at our Peachtree City GA office.
We are looking for a talented and creative problem solver. You will be working in a dynamic and fast paced team environment, using your embedded software engineering skills to deliver new products. You will be involved in the complete development life cycle, seeing your design evolve from a technical specification into a finished product. Detailed technical collaboration with the full cross-functional development team will require strong, ongoing communication. Maintaining our market leading position will challenge your creativity and design skills. This leader will play a critical role in ensuring Eaton delivers a high quality product, using world class development processes, and rigorous validation testing in one of Eaton’s fastest growing business segments.
This position will have the responsibility of the overall mechanical design of the product. This will include design of the necessary components and the structural and thermal analysis of the product. This position will work closely with the Recessed Program Manager, Marketing Manager, Optical Design Group, Electrical Engineering, Sourcing and Manufacturing personnel to develop the products in an organized and expedient fashion. The Mechanical Engineer will be responsible for meeting the overall project schedule and budget. Presentation of each stage and completion of the project through the utilization of the Eaton PROLaunch (Six-Sigma) process is required. This role encompasses collaborating with all aspects of product development including the mechanical and electrical team working groups, research into new technologies and protecting our research investment by filing intellectual property. The candidate will possess excellent hands on technical and communication skills with a proven track record of delivering positive results This position will play a critical role in ensuring Eaton delivers a high-quality product, using world class development processes, and rigorous validation testing in one of Eaton’s fastest growing business segments.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
In this function you will:
- Work in conjunction with internal resources and remote engineering to create the overall project timeline as well as define deliverables and drive team to completion.
- Coordinate with marketing to ensure project specifications are clear, complete, and achievable and are consistent with voice of the customer.
- Ensure design progression via CAD modeling reviews, thermal and mechanical analysis, drawing and model retention, testing plan creation, test review and coordinate with internal as well as third-party compliance.
- Ensure project tooling budget and product cost requirements are being met.
- Coordinate with Sourcing personnel to ensure vendors are identified, quotations are being obtained and quality standards/form deliverables are being met.
- Coordinate with manufacturing personnel to ensure production site has been identified, production equipment and other requirements are being put in place and production readiness is achieved both for internal and supplier plants.
- Conduct design reviews as well as the Design and Process Failure Mode Effect Analysis (DFMEA, PFMEA) sessions to Identifying project risks and develop response plans
- In conjunction with other team members present the project status at PROLaunch.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
Minimum 3 years of product design experience
Minimum 3 years of experience with and demonstrated profiency with 3-D modeling software
Must be able to work in the United States without corporate sponsorship now and within the future.
No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates within a 50 mile radius of the work location will be considered
A minimum of 3 years of product design experience with lighting fixtures
Working knowledge of LED product design including understanding of electrical parameters and thermal behaviors
Basic understanding of electrical engineering principles
Familiarity with all design, manufacturing and regulatory (UL, CE, etc.) aspects of LED lighting systems for general lighting
Experience with and proven knowledge of injection molded plastic, die cast, sheet metal design, manufacturing methods & processes
Minimum of 3 years of experience with and demonstrated proficiency with Solidworks 3-D modeling software
Well-developed written and oral communication skills
Well-developed and demonstrated interpersonal skills
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG LD Lighting Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time