Senior Engineer, Metallurgy
Job Title: Senior Engineer, Metallurgy #065521
If you desire to be part of something special, to be part of a winning team, to be part of a fun team - winning is fun.
We are looking forward to a Senior Engineer, Metallurgy in Eaton’s Corporate Research Technology team, based in Pune, India.
In Eaton, making our work exciting, engaging, meaningful; ensuring safety, health, wellness; and being a model of inclusion & diversity are already embedded in who we are - it’s in our values, part of our vision, and our clearly defined aspirational goals.
This exciting role is part of Eaton India Innovation Center (EIIC) within Corporate Research Technology team. Eaton’s Corporate Research & Technology (CRT) group focuses on the technology innovation by conducting research to advance the state of the art, business impacting technologies and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers with safe, efficient and reliable power management solutions. The Center for Materials and Manufacturing (CMM) at CRT in India has an exciting opportunity for a Materials & Metallurgical Engineer. The Engineer is responsible for in-depth Metallurgical analysis of Prototype parts, components failed in accelerated testing and on field to draw conclusions supporting NPD projects. The candidate will also be an interface with suppliers for prototype and NPD work as and when required.
Your essential responsibilities:
· Provides expertise in Metallurgical analysis of prototype parts, components failed in accelerated lab testing and field testing, benchmarking components.
· Provides Metallurgical insights to product development engineers to make key decisions.
· Supports VA/VE activities by proposing alternate materials for driving same / better performance. Assesses proposed material changes. Leads materials led cost out efforts by introducing new materials and / or processes.
· Performs supplier risk mitigation by ensuring the manufacturers follow right process. Conducts audits and troubleshoots manufacturing problems as and when required.
· Acts as a resource for all basic and advanced Metallurgical characterization needs for project teams from EIIC.
· Plans work in Materials lab, ensures timely delivery of all work.
· Maintains Materials lab by ensuring that all the equipment are calibrated, maintained and are performing to required standards.
· Keeps self updated on latest materials characterization and processing technologies.
· Collaborates with diverse cross-functional teams at global level. Documents lessons learnt; acquires and disseminates knowledge to wider engineering community.
If you are:
Bachelor’s degree in Metallurgical Engineering / Materials Science. (Master’s degree optional)
Sound knowledge and hands-on experience of ≥7 years in NPD / plant quality / supplier development function as a Metallurgist.
Sound knowledge of Ferrous and non-Ferrous Metallurgy including manufacturing processes.
Experience in Metallurgy lab operation including equipment like Metallurgical microscope, macro and micro hardness testers, OES etc.
Hands-on experience in failure analysis.
Sound knowledge of NDT methods like Ultrasonic flaw detection, Magnetic particle inspection, radiography etc.
Sound knowledge of applicable Metallurgical standards like AISI, SAE, ASTM, DIN, JIS etc.
Experience in development and audit of suppliers – foundries, forging and Heat treatment shops
.Hands-on experience of various Metallurgical manufacturing processes like casting, forging, heat treatment. Knowledge and experience with steel making will be added advantage.
Experience with characterization equipment like XRD, SEM-EDS, CAT etc.
Experience with mechanical testing – static and fatigue testing.
Experience in VAVE and competitive benchmarking.
Sound knowledge of statistics and SPC.
Experience with QMS like ISO9001, TS16949, NABL accreditation etc.
Knowledge and hands-on experience of DFSS / DMAIC methodologies.
Yes! Because you are the one we are looking for, we hope to hear from you now!
*We make what matters work.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential - and where you can help us reach ours. Need more about Eaton? Come on in @ www.eaton.com.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: INNOV Innovation Center
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time