Additive Manufacturing Design Engineer
Eaton’s Aerospace Group is currently seeking an Additive Manufacturing Design Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Los Angeles, California facility.
This position is a technical project role in the Mechanical and Project Engineering group, supporting design, development, and implementation of Additive Manufacturing (AM) for new and existing designs of fluid power and motion control system components. The AM Design Engineer will work with Designers, Engineers, Fabrication, the Advanced Manufacturing Center of Excellence and one or more Integrated Product Teams (IPT) to identify opportunities for AM applications, design, analyze, and implement product designs and improvements in all phases of a product design lifecycle. In addition, this position will be responsible to define and execute local onsite AM training to facilitate rapid AM deployment within the LA team. They will champion the use of the technology, including utilization of onsite printers and define the roadmap for future site printing capabilities. The AM Design Engineer works with limited supervision, has strong leadership, communication, and technical skills, and can adapt and react quickly to internal and external customer demands.
Primary responsibility is to lead technical design and project teams, perform analysis, and provide guidance for new product development and product improvements planned to be manufactured through AM and/or Advanced Manufacturing processes. Has the decision-making authority on behalf of Engineering for system or component design and has responsibilities for guiding and directing applicable IPT technical decisions and accomplishment of objectives.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will lead, drive, and will be accountable for efforts to identify and evaluate AM opportunities, implement AM in product design, inspection, manufacturing, and test. Proactively leads R&D efforts for Additive Manufacturing implementation, planning Design of Experiment and other development efforts.
- You will plan, organize, control, and lead multiple simultaneous projects. Establish and oversee accomplishment of multiple project objectives. Creates, updates, and interprets project schedules and communicates changes and status to Engineering Leadership and IPT(s). Support targets and milestones for project budgets and schedules. Participate in resolving program change of scope issues with Project Engineering and Program Management.
- You will serve as primary technical contact for multiple cross-functional teams and liaison between Engineering and internal and external customers. Interacts directly with internal and external customers through formal technical presentations and informal discussions.
- You will act as local Subject Matter Expert (SME) for implementation of Additive and Advanced Manufacturing technologies, initiating and driving projects or initiatives to ensure competitive edge in markets and alignment with internal strategies.
- You will create, develop, and guide the creation of design standards, technical documents, including Engineering drawings (following ASME Y14.5, ASME Y14.34 standards), test procedures, test reports, and design review material. Present product design and substantiating data and analysis, design findings and recommendations to customers and management.
- You will provide technical leadership, mentoring, and coaching to co-workers. Provide direction to other engineers on project teams.
- You will ensure standardization of design of products and adherence to engineering processes across multiple projects using Additive and Advanced Manufacturing techniques. Supports continuous improvement by offering input to standard processes and procedures.
- You will proactively collaborate with peers and managers to determine key goals, objectives, and corresponding metrics. Review and amend these actions as appropriate. Focus on the timely achievement of these goals and objectives.
- You will interpret engineering documents. Coordinate creation and update of engineering documents.
- You will participate and lead studies and improvement for cost reduction and first time yield.
- You will lead and participate in cross-functional Root Cause and Corrective Action (RCCA) investigations. Provide engineering input and technical expertise and sound engineering judgment for failure investigation and for customer-returned hardware.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
“Eaton will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the FCIHO”
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering from an ABET accredited institution required
- Minimum 5 years of Mechanical Engineering design experience utilizing 3D CAD software
- Minimum 1 year of Additive Manufacturing experience (academic or direct work experience)
- No relocation benefit is offered for this position. Only candidates residing within 50 miles of Los Angeles, CA facility will be considered for this position.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship now or in the future.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Experience with CAD, designing for Additive Manufacturing, and in conducting topology or finite element analyses.
- Experience with designing hydraulic, pneumatic, or electromechanical products using Additive or Advanced manufacturing techniques and transitioning to a production environment
- Experience in the Aerospace Industry
- Experience with Pro/Engineer, Enovia PLM, or similar 3D design and lifecycle management software tools
- Ability to define and apply of Geometrical Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) and Model Based Definition principles and perform tolerance stack-up analyses
- Experience in maturing TRL and CRL levels for R&D projects in manufacturing
- Ability to perform basic structural and/or performance analysis.
- Working knowledge of Design for Six Sigma (DFSS), Design for Manufacturability (dfM), Failure Modes and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Design of Experiments (DOE), and Root Cause and Corrective Action (RCCA) principles.
- Experience with working on and leading cross-functional teams.
- Excellent technical writing, communication, and presentation skills.
Position Success Criteria:
- Demonstrated leadership skills, experience with design processes, successful new product introduction experience, creative/innovative thinking.
- Proven track record of driving change and ability to execute technology development plan
- Demonstrated project leadership experience
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER FMC Fuel Motion Control Systems
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time