Additive Manufacturing Engineer
Eaton Aerospace Group has an opening for an Additive Manufacturing Engineering Specialist to join our team. This position can be based out of Southfield, MI, or Jackson, MI, or Grand Rapids, MI, Euclid, OH or Beachwood, OH.
Additive manufacturing (AM) is an exciting new technology that offers substantial benefits to the Aerospace industry. Although much focus has been given to the actual growing of the parts using the latest AM technologies, very little attention has been dedicated to the methods for post-processing these parts, which generally accounts for 40% of the total cost. The position is designed to address this gap by being responsible for identifying and developing the post-process and non-destructive testing techniques (NDT) for FMC and FED OE and Aftermarket additive manufacturing (AM) projects. The position includes defining the post processing and NDT techniques for the types of AM processes Eaton is pursuing, including being directly responsible for the development of pilot projects demonstrating the techniques are effective and can be deployed. This will require finding technically effective solutions that are economical and satisfy the requirements for each type of AM process and material.
In addition, this person will take the lead on the AM team addressing how Eaton scales-up AM within the Aerospace business working closely with the operations team. This will require close engagement with the AMCoE in Southfield MI as they build their low rate initial production capability to ensure Aerospace manufacturing best practices are adopted. It will also involve working on the scale-up strategy to define the steps from the AMCoE LRIP into Aerospace plant deployment. The role will work closely with the AM Applications Engr. Specialists, Design Engineering, Manufacturing Engineering and Quality teams.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Required (Basic) Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering, Industrial Engineering or Materials Science (i.e. metallurgy) from an accredited institution.
- A minimum of 5 years of engineering experience – Design or Manufacturing.
- A minimum of 3 years manufacturing engineering in an industrial setting.
- Must be authorized to work in the US without company sponsorship.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ''Green Card Holder''), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- No relocation is being offered for this position. Only candidates residing within a 50 mile radius of the Southfield, MI; Jackson, MI; Grand Rapids, MI; Euclid, OH; Cleveland, OH will be considered.
- Experience qualifying/certifying parts for Aerospace.
- Experience defining NDT techniques for Aerospace applications.
- Experience in additive manufacturing experience – polymer or metal.
- Experience defining the post-processing techniques in an industrial setting – machining, inspection, surface treatments, deburring, NDT, NDI, etc.
- Experience in planning manufacturing operations for NPD.
- Demonstrated leadership skills. Able to manage a cross-functional technical team to develop concepts into solutions.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and execute technology development plans.
Position Success Criteria:
- Develop new post-processing solutions utilizing the capabilities of advanced and conventional manufacturing. This includes the use of a variety of surface finish processes, traditional machining, and inspection along with new approaches for powder and support removal. Inspection methods will include traditional techniques along with unique technologies specifically design for AM, including in-situ monitoring.
- Work with the CRT, Additive CoEs in both Southfield Michigan and Pune India and external partners to develop the post-processes methods required to develop and commercialize identified targets.
- Develop the strategy, roadmap and execution plan for leveraging unique post-process and inspection techniques for the various types of processes and materials being used.
- Build cost models and capital plans associated with the various post-processing techniques to enable the applications, design and operations teams to evaluate alternative concepts and share the potential options with customers.
- Lead the effort to deploy AM post-processing best practices across the Aerospace organization including ensuring the continued education of the cross-functional organization. This includes formal and informal training on the various post-process techniques used for AM projects.
- Lead internal/external innovation workshops to identify potential game-changing post-processing solutions enabled by AM for the various types of AM processes and materials used.
- Develop the strategy, roadmap and execution plan for moving from AMCoE LRIP to AM plant deployment, working with the operations team.
- Define the strategy for capital deployment and utilization.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER Aerospace Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time