Engineering Specialist - Power Conversion
Corporate Research & Technology focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers’ with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions.
The Power Conversion team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of power electronics, power converters, power systems, electric drives, electromagnetics, numerical modeling and controls.
The Engineering Specialist is expected to lead technology strategy and execution for specific applications. This includes acquiring resources, funding and establishing key partnerships both internally and externally to drive technological advancement. They will be responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all research and development efforts under his/her control.
• Leads complex global technology realization programs/projects utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews.
• Serve as (or support) Program Managers in the development of detailed project plans and value proposition. Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process.
• Leads the development of strategies for technology roadmaps for specific applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies.
• Initiates and develops solid relationships with both engineering and business leaders within Eaton to drive strong business cases for new commercial applications and acquire needed resources and funding
• Identifies leading external partnerships, outside technologies and best practices to bring to Eaton
• Leads open innovation events with universities and external institutes that align with Power Block strategy
• Broad understanding of power electronics technologies and its application in power conversion areas.
• Extensive experience with power semiconductor devices, gate drive technologies, thermal management, AC/DC, DC/DC and DC/AC power converter topologies, design and control strategies.
• Extensive experience with high-power power electronics system hardware design, development, and verification
• Extensive experience with control algorithm implementation and verification in embedded platforms.
• Experience with magnetics in power electronics like high frequency transformer, high frequency inductor, CT, hall sensor.
• Experience with EMI/EMC analysis and filter design
• Highly preferred strong technical publication and invention record
• Excellent English communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
• Product experiences preferred.
• Master’s degree required, PhD preferred
• 5-7 Years of experience in Power Conversion
Desired experience and/or qualifications
• Understands risks and is able to set key milestones for technology development
• Can assess trade-offs between business needs and solutions and influence business strategy
• Active leadership in a technical or industry event/group (ex: serve as a co-chair for a session at a technical conference)
• Excellent English communication (oral and written) and presentation skills.
• Expected to have experience taking more than one new application though new product introduction
• Expected to be a DFSS Black Belt
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time