Custom Products Design Engineer
Eaton’s Power Reliability Division is currently seeking a Custom Products Design Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our South Milwaukee, WI facility.
The Custom Products Design Engineer’s primary responsibility is to create high quality custom designed Underground Distribution Switchgear products at a minimum cost while meeting and exceeding customer requirements and expectations.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will create designs of custom Underground Distribution Switchgear products of moderate complexity within defined ETO (Engineered-to-Order) scope, in accordance with established practices and company standards, including bills of material, detail/assembly, and customer drawings.
- You will create and execute Engineering Change Requests/Notices, and enter into the ERP system (SAP).
- You will estimate cost and design effort for complex new products and systems.
- You will provide technical support to Marketing regarding sales inquiries, customer specifications, customer problems, equipment application, and engineering analysis.
- You will provide technical support to Scheduling, Purchasing, Manufacturing Engineering, Production Control, Quality Assurance, and Operations regarding issues with custom designs.
- You will drive root cause analysis and resolution of customer complaints and material non-conformance issues.
- You will make recommendations for product and process improvements, and define and implement improvement projects to increase team efficiency.
- You will occasionally be required to work beyond core hours to complete custom designs or to support Production team to meet critical customer deadlines
- You will occasionally be required to visit suppliers in support of Purchasing team to ensure design and quality requirements are satisfied
- You will occasionally write test protocols and provide instruction to Test Personnel in Eaton test labs, if aspects of custom designs require verification testing
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution required.
- Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States without out company sponsorship, now or in the future.
- No relocation is being offered for this role. All candidates considered must live within 50 miles of South Milwaukee, WI
- Minimum of 1 year of design experience with electromechanical systems
- Demonstrated proficiency in use of CAD (2D and 3D) tools with mechanical or electromechanical systems. Knowledge of industry recognized drafting and CAD standards, practices and procedures
- Ability to excel as a team player by successfully collaborating with engineering peers as well as cross-functional personnel to ensure custom designs meet customer expectations.
- Experience with custom engineering design and processes is desired
- Experience in creating, loading, and storing engineering designs within an ERP system is desired
- Familiarity with FEA, modeling, detailing and layout drafting techniques is desired
- Knowledge of power systems, distribution switchgear products/applications, and/or industrial automation/controls is desired
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG CPSD PRD Power Reliability Division
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No