Senior Mechanical Engineer
Eaton’s Power Quality division is currently seeking a Senior Mechanical Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Raleigh, NC facility.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer is responsible for the development and implementation of mechanical equipment designs for Eaton branded products. In this role, you will support specific customer applications. Additionally, this position serves as an engineering resource to support related factory and field service issues.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will be the technical design interface for all mechanical and drafting tasks including but not limited to planning, coordinating, maintaining, and meeting overall project schedule and cost targets.
- You will develop conceptual designs based on customer requirements and factory capability; estimating engineering effort and material cost for project quotations.
- You will establish the mechanical architecture of power conversion and distribution systems, including switchboard and switchgear products designed to UL1778, UL891, and UL1558 standards.
- You will review engineering designs and drawings prior to release to production as developed by the team in an effort to effectively control quality and manufacturing costs
- You will design and generate 2D CAD design files and 3D parametric models, tolerance analysis, wiring diagram and mechanical drawings, documentation, assembly guides, procedures and illustrations for standard and custom products.
- You will maintain and release design documentation in a PDM system during product development.
- You will perform simulation studies using FEA tools such as Flotherm and Ansys.
- You will support factory and field and field deployment of new and existing designs.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- Bachelor’s degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of two (2) years of mechanical engineering experience
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- 3-5 years of mechanical engineering work experience
- Master’s Degree in Mechanical Engineering from an accredited educational institution
- Previous design experience of power systems or data centers
- Previous experience with manufacturing and production processes
- Previous experience in electronic and electro-mechanical design
- Previous experience with UL
- Previous experience working with switchgear
- Knowledge of engineering data base systems (Enovia)
- Understanding performance and capabilities of Eaton’s large UPS and power distribution products
- Experience with 2D and 3D tools (Ex. Auto-Cad)
- Experience with Pro-Engineer-solid modeling in an electronics packaging environment, including detailed documentation
- Experience using Flotherm thermal analysis software
- Ability to understand the competitive power quality environment
- Ability to work with a sense of urgency
- Ability to self-motivate and self-manage, work autonomously and in team oriented environment
- Ability to be proactive, attentive to detail, task oriented, and able to overcome obstacles to meet schedule requirements
- Ability to demonstrate strong communication and presentation skills
- Ability to demonstrate creativity and innovation in design. And be able to come up with new and unique ideas
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving using logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions
- Ability to demonstrate technical learning and can learn new skills, knowledge, industry, product or technical knowledge
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: ESSG PQD CPS Critical Power Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only