Java Software Engineer
Eaton’s Electrical Automation Solutions, Electrical Sector- Americas has an opening for a Java Software Engineer to join our team. This position will be located in Plymouth, MN.
As a Java Software Engineer, you will design, develop, implement, and test enterprise software solutions that drive complex power system automation for electric utilities. You will work with large mature software systems and ensure future development solves business and technical problems. Development focus is on client/server architecture, web based applications, and relational databases, which integrate with various electric utility enterprise systems. We strive to deliver dependable, simplified, and best-in-class software applications to help utilities leverage their assets and manage a smarter grid. Our development team uses the latest proven technologies available to develop enterprise applications that are smart, innovative, integrative, and user friendly.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
About Energy Automation Solutions Division:
The Energy Automation Solutions division delivers intelligent energy solutions by combining power systems expertise with innovative technologies to help our customers generate, deliver, and manage energy safely, efficiently, and reliably. EAS provides a range of power delivery and reliability solutions that includes self-healing grid, communicating sensors, substation automation, system planning, advanced metering and demand response solutions designed to increase efficiency in support of grid modernization. The EAS business primarily serves global utility customers and in some markets commercial industrial, and renewable energy markets. With a spirit of innovation crossing decades, EAS is proud of its ground-breaking innovations through customer collaboration, long-standing commitment to investing in R&D, and its market recognized Yukon and CYME Software Platforms. The technical skills, innovative thinking and the tireless dedication of our employees around the world are Eaton's greatest resources.
- You will do full range of development including new features, bug fixes, refactoring, optimization, and testing.
- You will work on a fast-paced and dynamic scrum team following Agile design framework (sprints, stand-ups, time estimation, work breakdown).
- You will utilize experience and research to implement best-practices, determine appropriate technologies and design patterns, and identify/mitigate risks
- You will contribute to our product’s continuous improvement by building great solutions and engaging in code reviews and technical discussions with entire development team.
- You will investigate critical customer support issues and propose creative solutions.
- You will work closely with all team members (including software, firmware, QA, customer service, and marketing).
- You will work with geographically dispersed teams throughout U.S, Canada, and India.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree or higher in Computer Science, Software Engineering, Electrical Engineering or similar from an accredited institution.
- Minimum 3 months experience developing enterprise software (valid experience may include internship).
- Proven hands-on experience with Java/J2EE or C++.
- Candidate must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Relocation is not offered for this position and candidates must reside within a 50 mile radius.
- Experience translating business requirements into technical design.
- Understanding of typical software architectures, object oriented programming, and best practices for software development.
- Experience with standard development tools and libraries preferred (Eclipse, Subversion, SQL Server, Oracle, Spring, Tomcat, Jenkins, JIRA, Fisheye/Crucible, vSphere).
- Knowledge and implementation experience on energy or industrial automation solutions a plus.
Benefits and Perks:
You give us your best, we’ll reward you well. Eaton strives to provide industry competitive, employee well- being focused benefits and programs globally. The items below represent common programs globally, but program availabilities may vary by site. Please check with an HR representative on the programs available at your local site. In many cases, programs may be provided by government resources in compliance with local regulations, instead of directly by Eaton.
- Healthcare/retirement savings programs to support you now and as you plan for the future
- Wellness programs and resources to support the wellbeing of you and your family
- Tuition assistance or financial help for ongoing learning and development
- Paid time off with vacation, sick days, and holiday observance
- Flexible work options to help balance work/life demands (at participating Eaton sites)
- Donation matching (US, Canada, Puerto Rico)
- Recognition programs for a wide range of achievements
- Referral program to reward you for helping us find the right candidate
- Competitive compensation packages to reward skills and performance
- Paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
- Fitness reimbursement to support your healthy lifestyle
- Casual dress policy that allows jeans in the office
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time