Global Technology Director
The Global Technology Director (GTD) is a member for the Corporate Research and Technology (CRT) leadership team and reports directly to the EVP/CTO. This position is responsible for the CRT department of Machine Systems Technologies (MST) and provides technical and organizational leadership to a global MST team. The GTD leads and executes innovation activities including research, design, development and continuous improvement to meet customer needs. This position directly interfaces with business partners for technology strategies, application development, problem solving and product improvement initiatives. This role will require strong coordination with many Eaton businesses and functions to optimize customer satisfaction. The GTD is responsible for new and ongoing technology platforms to ensure achievement of the organization's financial and growth objectives. This role is also responsible to develop and implement an MST technology strategy, including the creation of new and ongoing technology platforms to ensure achievement of the organization's business goals as defined by the financial and strategic plans. The GTD will also plan, establish and manage relationships with external research partners (e.g. Universities and National Labs) and early-adopting customers (e.g. government agencies) to engage in open innovation developments funded and/or co-funded by third parties.
In addition, the GTD will provide engineering leadership to the MST department in terms of guidance and coaching the development of employees; selection and retention of employees; and will act as a mentor within the organization. The position provides technical as well as organizational leadership and direction for platform objectives. The GTD stimulates the search for creative applications of technologies in addition to establishing a vision of technology platforms which can create opportunities for Eaton.
- Establish, develop, and execute CRT platforms & applications globally. Lead and direct technical and program activities of the global MST team
- Lead the research and development activities for MST, assuring that core technologies and emerging technology trends, future product and solutions development, and technical customer support are addressed
- Collaborate, interface, and coordinate globally with cross functional teams across all Eaton businesses, as well as suppliers and customers, to ensure smooth introduction of new technologies into products and solutions as well as ensuring optimal customer satisfaction
- Provide leadership in developing innovative platforms and applications to grow and strengthen Eaton's technology portfolio
- Participate with CRT leadership team and staff members in the development and formulation of long and short-range strategic planning
- Identify and drive a strategy to develop a strong intellectual property portfolio and enable innovation
- Build organizational capability and talent through effective recruiting, training, coaching, development, retention and optimal organizational structure
- Create and foster a learning culture and encourage team collaboration
- Gain proficiency of Eaton business tools such as Eaton Business System, stage gate reviews, technical and program reviews to ensure effectiveness of new technology introductions
- Fifteen years of related engineering experience in machine systems technology systems and solutions design, applied research, new product introduction, program management, and innovation processes.
- Seven years of experience leading people, at least three of those in a global matrixed organization
- Master’s degree in electrical engineering, computer science, data science, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, mathematics, or statistics.
- PhD in electrical engineering, computer science, data science, mechanical engineering, industrial engineering, mathematics or statistics
- Proven track record of building organizational capability and talent through effective recruiting, training, coaching, development, and optimizing organizational structure.
- Basic understanding of legal matters dealing with intellectual property, government contracts, and other research agreements
- Direct international experience leading high-performance technology-based organizations is highly desirable
- Demonstrated excellence in theoretical and applied MST with significant experience with both physics-based and data-driven modeling and simulation techniques. Must have proven track record of developing MST solutions to problems across various segments such as data centers, more electric transportation, and renewable energy
- Candidate must have exceptionally strong business acumen with the ability to formulate compelling value propositions and understand how to drive solutions to commercialization
- Ideal candidate will have
experience in developing services offerings across several industrial applications
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Executive
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 50 % of the Time