Lead Engineer – Power Conversion
· Corporate Research & Technology (CRT) focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers’ with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions.
· The Power Conversion team in CRT has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of power electronics, power converters, power systems, electric drives, electromagnetics, numerical modeling and controls.
· The Lead Engineer is expected to serve as a technical and/or project lead on projects within the Power Conversion team. They are responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all efforts under their control. They are expected to contribute to technical papers and presentations as well as IP generation through authoring (or co-authoring) disclosures and patents.
· The Lead Engineer participates in brainstorming and design bursts contributing to the technology strategy for their department. They support building business unit relationships by presenting ideas and projects, contributing to the development of compelling value propositions for technology work and acquiring resources and funding needed to ensure success.
· As a key member of the Power Conversion team the Lead Engineer is expected to develop themselves as a subject matter expert both internally and externally to Eaton. This includes attending conferences, seminars and/or consortium meetings in relevant industry to network with technical peers and stay relevant in their fields.
· Create innovative power conversion and control product concepts/prototypes based on breakthrough technologies for electrical, industrial, automotive, truck, and aerospace applications, as a technical lead and as a team member.
· Work in conjunction with Eaton product and engineering divisions to successfully develop and transfer technologies.
· Support creating project plans, manage budgets and resources, and deliver results on-budget and on-schedule.
· Coordinate and manage multi-cultural distributed teams on multi-disciplinary research and product development.
· Supports building business relationships by presenting ideas and projects, participating in ideation events and acquiring resources and funding needed
· Participates in external open innovation events with universities and research institutes
· Actively contributes to IP generation through authoring or co-authoring disclosures and patents
· Mentor junior staff and consult internal business and engineering customers
· Broad understanding of power electronics technologies and its application in power conversion areas.
· Extensive experience with power semiconductor devices, gate drive technologies, thermal management, AC/DC, DC/DC and DC/AC power converter topologies, design and control strategies.
· Extensive experience with high-power power electronics system hardware design, development, and verification
· Extensive experience with control algorithm implementation and verification in embedded platforms.
· Experience with magnetics in power electronics like high frequency transformer, high frequency inductor, CT, hall sensor.
· Experience with EMI/EMC analysis and filter design
· Highly preferred strong technical publication and invention record
· Excellent English communication (oral and written) and presentation skills
· Product experiences preferred.
· Master’s degree required, PhD preferred
· 3-5 Years of experience in Power Conversion
· Consistently acts in an ethical, open, honest, trustworthy and truthful manner.
· Demonstrated technology leadership.
· Globally astute. Understands how to adapt communication style to fit different cultures.
· Self-motivated and goal oriented individual.
· Demonstrated strategic thinking, drive for results, and managerial courage.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills in dealing with management, employees, customers and suppliers. Senior management level communication and presentation skills.
· Position may require up to 10% travel domestically and internationally.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time