Eaton’s Fluid Electrical Distribution Division seeking a Senior Power Supply Design Engineer to join our team. This position is located in our Torrance, CA facility.
The Senior Power Supply Design Engineer will be able to generate reliable, cost effective, manufacturable power supply design solutions that meet or exceed the needs of customer applications as well as comply with all applicable governing regulatory standards (UL, CE, AS91000/ISO, MilStds; MIL Std 461, 704, etc., DO-160 etc.).
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
• You will administer electronics and electrical Engineering principles to identify and understand issues, and to generate design solutions for various product development challenges associated with power supplies which includes AC-DC, DC-DC and DC-AC inverters.
• You will be able to design standard, semi-custom or custom power conversion product utilizing all the elements required including control theory and loop compensation, magnetic design, EMI, component selection with proper derating, schematic capture and PCB layout within a given timeline.
• You will learn and integrate Design for Six Sigma tools and approaches, engineering simulation & modeling software, and phase-gate development processes for power supply design and development activities.
•You will interface with manufacturing and quality assurance personnel in establishing quality requirements for power supply products and aid in generating technical papers, technical articles, patent disclosures, and technical discussions under the guidance of more experienced engineers.
•You will participate in the development of production tooling and assembly fixtures to enable error-proof and cost effective production of power supplies.
•You will achieve familiarity with the products of the corporation common to activity and study the engineering and products of competitors.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we as individuals and as a company are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
Required (basic) Qualifications:
Bachelor’s degree in Electronics / Electrical Engineering from an accredited college or university. 10 years minimum of experience in power electronics and conversion product development.
Relocation is NOT approved for this position, candidates must reside within a 50 miles radius of Torrance, CA
This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), have been granted Political Asylum, or Refugee.
Must be legally able to work in the US without company sponsorship now or in the future.
Position Success Criteria:
• Understands the needs of other functional areas and provides cooperation
to benefit overall engineering and business goals.
• Builds and leverages key relationship across various business
units/function Experience in PCAD and Altium/ Cadence is required
• Drives the use of tools such as DFMEA, DFT and DFM design techniques to
ensure development of robust design specifications, design guidelines, model
and drawing detailing, design validation plans that produce reliable and
sound design solutions.
• Work with commercial and product management teams to generate technical
proposal, pricing and overall solutions to meet customer’s RFQs and requirements.
• Contributes to strategic direction and advancement of current product technology
and development of new technology and product feature sets, to drive value
propositions that command a premium for the associated products.
• Must be capable of writing technical documents such as test procedures,
test reports, and patent disclosures, technical proposals
• Must be team oriented, with excellent interpersonal skills and effective communication.
A good working knowledge and proficiency in computer simulation and modeling software (stress, thermal, circuit analysis, etc.)
Experience with high density, highly efficient and high power design technology
Background in, Mil Stds 461, 704 etc,, DO-160 stds UL compliance requirements are preferred
Background and experience in control loop, magnetics design, EMI and safety rules and regulations.
Project management knowledge and experience is a plus
Good verbal and written communication is required.
Experience and familiarity with various Power Conversion topologies including resonant and soft switching topologies
Subject matter expert for DC/AC, DC/DC and AC/DC Power Supplies design and development.
MSEE is a plus
Willing to travel up to 20%.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER FED Fluid Electrical Distribution
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time