Senior Product Engineer, Motors Center of Excellence
Eaton’s Fuel and Motion Control Systems division is growing ! Eaton is seeking a Sr. Product Engineer in the Motors Centre of Excellence design team. This role is based at our Grand Rapids, MI facility.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
This role will be responsible for Magnetic and Mechanical design of Brushless DC motor and electromechanical solenoid design. Which will include electric motors & solenoids for a variety of commercial & military aerospace actuator system applications. This is a senior role within a small highly motivated technical team supporting the larger engineering and manufacturing department in this specialist discipline
In this role you will :
- Devising concepts, creating drawing and performing detailed analysis with respect to requirements
- Support manufacturing functions during new production development and sustaining activities of existing products as subject matter expert
- Incorporates design standards in new concepts. Evaluate, select, and adapt criteria, techniques, and procedures to solve problems. Possess systematic problem solving know-how and methodology. Conduct research, tests and analytical tasks to develop data for solution to problems for which precedents may be limited or not applicable.
- Design for reliability, Design for Manufacture and Design for Assembly are expected, leading to practical production designs in conjunction with other disciplines within the Engineering department. Produce analytical designs using recognized analysis tools (e.g. Ansys RMxprt, Maxwell 2D & 3D), accurately and efficiently to scheduled timeline.
- Prepare and review engineering proposals, performance specifications, technical reports and papers.
- Support Manufacturing divisions with design related issues, concessions and Engineering Change Requests.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
We are committed to ensuring equal employment opportunities for all job applicants and employees. Employment decisions are based upon job-related reasons regardless of an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, marital status, genetic information, protected veteran status, or any other status protected by law.
- BS Engineering from an accredited institution
- 7 years minimum work experience in the area of motor design
- 2 years minimum brushless DC motor design experience
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. ‘Green Card Holder’), Political Asylee, or Refugee
- MS Engineering from an accredited institution
- In depth understanding of Magnetic modeling tools (Lumped Parameter and Electromagnetic FE) for motor performance and solenoid simulation (e.g. Ansys RMxprt & Maxwell 2D & 3D) is needed to undertake design tasks. Also, general knowledge of 3D solid modeling (e.g. Pro-E), BLDC motor controller and typical aerospace feedback devices will be required to optimization assembly and system performance.
- Understanding of most manufacturing process of major components, in-process validation testing and final test processes to support all phases of new product development.
- Knowledge of aerospace and OEM customer practices and regulations is highly desirable, but not essential.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: AER Aerospace Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time