Electrical Engineering Specialist-eMobility
Our eMobility segment is currently seeking an Electrical Engineering Specialist to join our dynamic, entrepreneurial team. This position can be located from Tualatin Oregon, Menomonee Falls, WI or our Southfield Michigan site.
At Eaton, we are dedicated to improving the quality of life and the environment with power management technologies that are innovative, efficient, reliable and safe. Making power management work takes the passion and creativity of all of our employees around the world. This passion inspired the creation of the new Eaton eMobility segment, combining our deep expertise in vehicle and electric power to deliver a wide range of solutions for on- and off-road electrified vehicles, helping to reduce the environmental impact of transportation around the world.
The eMobility Electrical Engineering Specialist is responsible for conceptualizing, lead the design, development, testing, technical documentation, and production launch of new products for electric motor drives and associated embedded controls. This position can be located in Tualatin Oregon or Southfield Michigan.
You will work with customers, vendors, other groups within Eaton on leading developments in electrification of commercial and hybrid vehicles. This includes the development of firmware and hardware architectures which are flexible and extensible across a broad scope of products and applications. You will also lead and participate in system-level requirements analysis and cost estimation, design reviews and other team development processes. Success will require keeping abreast of new and emerging technologies, components and materials. Along with utilization of appropriate CAD tools to design and analyze product functionality and integrity in order to facilitate rapid deployment.
- You will generate product requirements specifications in coordination with the customer(s), for the design and development new and innovative products
- You will investigate and analyze new materials, components, technologies, applications and their appropriate use within our product lines
- You will conduct testing of all new products in accordance with CPD standards and customer requirements
- You will provide supervision and support to internal and external design resources when appropriate (e.g. PCB layout, software development, other engineers, test laboratories)
- You will review and conduct analyses (FMEA, simulations, modeling, etc.) on new products to ensure their integrity and use the results to optimize designs
- You will successfully lead contractors and other resources either co-located or at international locations
- You will establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship with key customers and vendors
· Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical/Electronic Engineering from an accredited institution.
· Minimum of 7 years of experience in product development of electric motor drive systems. Experience gained from grad school programs or above will be counted toward this.
· Experience with CAD tools: schematic capture, circuit and behavioral simulation- for example (SPICE, Simplis, Ansys, Altium, Matlab/Simulink) PCB layout and design
· Candidates must be legally authorized to work in the United States on a permanent basis without company sponsorship.
· Ability to travel up to 10%
• Automotive Industry Experience
• Functional Safety- ISO26262
• Masters Degree
• Experience with model based design methods a plus
• Good understanding of commercial vehicle markets and the environmental requirements and related qualification testing required
• Working knowledge of automotive serial data protocols (CAN, J1939, J1587, J1708, LIN) and tools (CANape, CANalyzer, CANopen, etc.)
• Experience with electric motor drive and control systems, DC, AC, PM, SR, FW motors
• design—power electronics for electric and hybrid electric vehicle systems, switch-mode power supplies, battery charging and management systems, design strategies for EMC, etc.
• Firmware design experience
• Experience with DFSS and DFx practices: Manufacturing, Test, Repair, Quality, etc
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time