Lead RF Engineer
Eaton’s Power Components division is currently seeking a Lead RF Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Rockville, MD facility.
As a recognized employer of choice, Eaton Corporation recruits and retains talented employees who are interested in making a long-term commitment to an organization that continually invests in the latest technology and state-of-the-art equipment as well as its employees. Eaton’s Energy Automation Solutions business has an immediate opening for a Senior RF Engineer. The Energy Automation Solutions (EAS) division delivers intelligent energy solutions by combining power systems expertise with innovative technologies to help our customers generate, deliver, and manage energy safely, efficiently, and reliably. EAS provides a range of power delivery and reliability, automation and control, advanced metering and demand response solutions designed to increase efficiency and smart operations. The EAS business serves customers in the utility, commercial, industrial, mining, renewable energy and other markets. With a spirit of innovation crossing decades, EAS is proud of its ground-breaking innovations through customer collaboration, long-standing commitment to investing in R&D, five Innovation Centers around the world, more than 10,000 patents held globally, and its award-winning solutions in power delivery, power quality, power reliability and end customer automation in the utility space. The technical skills, innovative thinking and the tireless dedication of our employees around the world are Eaton's greatest resources.
We are looking for a motivated professional with strong skills in RF development, a deep understanding of hardware architecture, communication technologies, and good team communication skills. The primary responsibility of the senior RF engineer will be developing intelligent embedded wireless communication devices used in the electric power industry. Success in this position requires the ability to work efficiently in multi-site teams, strong motivation for pursuing project objectives and the ability to learn new techniques and development processes.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will participate in all phases of the product development lifecycle (Concepts, Requirements, Design, Prototype, Testing, Release and Support) following a structured engineering process to ensure quality and reliability.
- You will design, implement, test and tune RF circuitry and antenna.
- You will evaluate RF range and system performance.
- You will work with external test lab for FCC/IC certification and verification test.
- You will research new wireless technologies, evaluate components/modules/solutions to drive new product development, improve product performance, or reduce product cost.
- You will collaborate with external and internal customers, such as Product Management, Field Service, You will partner with operations and other engineering teams during the product development life cycle.
- You will develop supporting engineering documentation including hardware requirements, design documentation, design verification test plans, and production test/calibration requirements.
- You will have active communication with the cross functional teams to ensure schedule, cost and performance alignment.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution.
- Minimum of 5 years of experience in design and developing embedded RF products, including integration of RF and digital circuitry.
- Experience with FCC certification.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- No relocation benefit is being offered for this position. Only candidates that currently reside within a 50 mile radius of Rockville, MD will be considered
- Experience in developing RF networking technologies including WiFi, Bluetooth/BLE, Cellular.
- Familiarity with RF simulation/design tools (Genesys preferred) and PCB design tools (Altium preferred)
- Experience with antenna design, simulation and test
- Familiarity with RF test equipment and experience in developing automated test and test procedure.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- In-depth knowledge of current wireless technology concepts and their applications (including WiFi, Zigbee, BLE, VLC and others); antenna design, operation and propagation theory; and appropriate IEEE standards and protocols.
- Knowledge of FCC, UL, ANSI and other related wireless certification and standards is a plus.
- Strong problem solving and debugging skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time