Engineering Design Manager
- You will lead the disciplined use of ProLaunch (phase-gate NPD process) to ensure timely and cost effective product development and introduction. Drives accountability and execution of results to target dates and ensures attainment of project goals (design features/functions, mfg. cost, capital investment, regulatory compliance, safety, schedule, plus other aspects)
- You will develop and execute the new product development strategy and product development roadmap to achieve the company goals for sales vitality growth.
- You will participate in Voice of the Customer processes to understand “pain” to be solved and crafts specifications for products to achieve the goals.
- You will drive continuous improvement by implementing value analysis/value engineering (VA/VE) projects to achieve annual cost reduction goals.
- You will guide the global sustaining engineering function to create engineer-to-order products, provide production support and customer technical support.
- You will partner closely with the operations and manufacturing to ensure products meet quality and performance requirements, cost targets, DFMA requirements, along with tooling investments and meeting productivity goals. Responsible for ensuring that all products meet applicable national and international regulatory agency codes and standards.
- You will guide and develop the engineering team in support of talent development initiatives. Acts as coach and mentor, assesses skills and identifies gaps, helps team members with development plans, and has a regular cadence for monitoring and measuring progress to goals.
- You will collaborate with the Product Management/Marketing team to develop multi-generation product roadmaps and strategy.
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 6 years of progressively increasing engineering responsibility including project management
- Minimum of 2 years engineering management in a leadership role.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship on an ongoing basis.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering degree
- Demonstrated experience and knowledge of sheet metal product design and stress analysis, plus working process knowledge for extruded aluminum, welded assemblies, plastic part design, and innovative use of alternative materials
- Ability to think strategically and also to participate in all levels of project details and technical engineering concepts, solid problem-solving skills
- Proven cross-functional interpersonal and leadership skills plus people development as a coach/mentor
- Strong customer mind-set and experience with Voice of the Customer (VoC) processes
- Experience working with international suppliers and/or customers.
- Experience working with offshore engineering resources
- Strong business acumen and financial analysis experience
- Ability to create innovative solutions which bring value to our customers and to instill a work environment which fosters a culture of creative thinking and teamwork
- Natural inclination to lead by example, be inquisitive in understanding details and underlying concepts, and ability to connect customer needs with design requirements and manufacturing processes for cost-effective solutions
- Ability to document, plan, execute, manage and control programs and technical resources
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Prior successful experience with the implementation of large scale mechanical product development programs and have experience with a phase-gate process for new product development initiatives.
- Ability to travel up to 10%
- Develops and tracks effective engineering metrics to drive projects to successful completion.
- Works closely with domestic and international manufacturing locations to coordinate successful product launches while meeting project schedules. Partners with offshore engineering teams to accelerate engineering development.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG BLD BLine Division
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time