Product Lead Engineer
Leads the design, develop, test, complete technical documentation, and launch new products within the microprocessor-based eProducts product lines. Leads the troubleshooting digital and analog electronic circuits on electronic assemblies. Takes complete charge of the electronics from design through launch and support. Participates in requirements analysis, design reviews and other team development processes. Keeps abreast of new and emerging technologies and materials and uses computer software tools to design and analyze product integrity in order to facilitate rapid deployment.
A. Lead the review of product requirements specification (including special characteristics) based on input from customer OEMs
B. Generate (when necessary) the product requirements specification (including special characteristics) from the Voice of Customer (VOC) input
C. Following the product spec, design, development new and innovative products
D. Conduct testing of all new products in accordance with VCBU standards and customer requirements
E. Complete appropriate technical documentation
F. Launch new product line extensions following a stage-gate process (i.e., PROLaunch, an APQP like process)
G. Investigate and analyze new materials and their appropriate use within our product line
H. Provide supervision and support to outside design resources, like Eaton Pune and KPIT, when appropriate (e.g. PCB layout, software development, test laboratories)
I. Provide support to outside suppliers (part substitutions, test strategies, create and maintain documentation for manufacturing)
J. Developing test strategies and procedures for both validation and production test—electronic and environmental.
K. Component selection
L. Establish and maintain a collaborative working relationship with key customers and vendors
M. Provide innovative product concepts and creative, cost-effective problem solving solutions
N. Drive the cost-out efforts on electronics-based eProducts lines.
Qualifications• Proven history of designing and executing new product development programs.
• 3 or more years’ experience in new product development in electrical and electromechanical systems.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Electrical Engineering required
• Electronic hardware design—small signal electronics, transient protection schemes for the vehicle environment, layout strategies for EMC, embedded controls.
• C and assembly programming.
• Proven ability to complete projects on time and on budget.
• Good understanding of commercial vehicle markets and the environmental requirements and related qualification testing required
• Electronic design tools: OrCAD CIS schematic capture and PSPICE, CAM 350, PADs PCB, DXDesigner
• Software Development tools: (MPLAB, IAR Embedded Workbench, AVR studio, Microchip and Atmel SR Micro development tools)
• Designing, programming and building various sales demos.
• Creating and maintaining electronic documentation for manufacturing.
• Planning and scheduling development testing (scheduling test labs, designing test equipment, designing and building test harnesses, creating test strategies for both validation and production testing, writing procedures and reports)
• Working knowledge of North American vehicle operating environment (electrical and mechanical).
• Working knowledge of vehicle EMC testing and requirements.
• Working knowledge of automotive serial data protocols (J1939, J1587, J1708, LIN).
• Maintaining various software tools (C compilers, programming environments, programming stations, serial data networks).
• Supervising other engineering tasks (assembly drawings, PCB layout, software development, validation testing)
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Latin America
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time