Director of Engineering and Technology
Lead and build multiple teams to innovate new solutions/products and enhancements, while working closely with internal and external customers; manage off shore teams at a distance with multiple visits per year.
Ensure alignment with executive level stakeholders spanning multiple functions (customer success, user experience, corporate development, sales and marketing, and revenue) and prioritize tasks for team to focus on critical items and remove roadblocks / constraints for team to move forward
Create, implement, and own best practice engineering and software development vision, strategy, policies, processes and procedures to aid and improve business performance and enable collaboration across design, engineering, software development, product development, customer success, sales and marketing, and platform teams to align them on product features, user experience, and roadmap.
Manage resource capacity and timelines driven by the business leader; manage R&D expense and capital spending for EAS and contribute to overall business strategy and annual budget process
Oversee the Program Management function and execution of NPD (New Product Development)
Develop in-depth conceptual and technical knowledge of all current products and new releases, new products, and interfaces.
Leverage global resources by building high performance teams across functions, geographies, time zones and cultures to deliver on key customer commitments
Guide the technology strategy while taking a holistic view of the business needs of the company, the dynamics of the industry and the marketplace, the activities of key competitors, and the product and service requirements of customers.
Ability to create strong partnerships with all functions within a large organization
Knowledge and experience with promoting technology reuse in the form of technology platforms to decrease time to market.
Demonstrated experience in building organizational technology capabilities and increasing the development and movement of high performing talent through broaden experiences around core technology enablers, as well as provide scale and establish bench and succession depth.
Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering or Computer Science from an accredited institution
Minimum 5 years of leadership experience in engineering and software development
Minimum 10 years of experience in engineering R&D
Experience in working globally across multiple engineering locations.
Must be legally authorized to work in the US without sponsorship
- Proven leadership and management skills with the ability to optimize team performance and development
- Experience in Enterprise software development along with Electronics Design and Embedded Firmware Development
- Excellent relationship management skills with the ability to engage, negotiate and manage key stakeholders and suppliers
- Strong and confident negotiator with the ability to negotiate at all levels
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and influencing skills
- Excellent analytical and problem solving abilities
- Results orientated with ability to plan and deliver against project deadlines
- Commercially and financially astute with experience of managing budgets
- Technical mindset
- An appreciation of and an ability to positively resolve issues arising from different cultures
- Master’s degree
- Knowledge and technical understanding of the Electric Utility Industry
- Knowledge in the communication technologies
- Understanding of emerging technologies and standards (IoT, IPv6, Cloud, Linux, Computing, Agile, etc.)
- History of creating and managing a portfolio of high tech projects, defining project scopes, developing and monitoring timelines and budgets for on-time and on-budget delivery.
- Demonstrated experience in leading new technology efforts from inception to transition to a customer organization, driving program deliverables, identifying and resolving technical and program decision/issues.
- Thorough understanding of the product development process with the ability to balance/manage commercial expectations and project timelines.
- Experience in leading globally dispersed development and quality assurance teams.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding communication practices needed to create successful partnerships in an open and supportive environment.
- Ability to communicate effectively across organizational lines.
- Experience presenting to Senior Leadership and developing R&D Strategies.
- A track record of demonstrated success in influencing both technology and business leaders with respect to a longer term strategy and plans for implementation.
- Proven ability to stimulate technology development, process improvement and product leadership.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: EPG EAS Electrical Automation Solutions
Job Level: Director
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time