Eaton’s eMobility business, is seeking an Application Engineer to join our team. This position is based at our Port Coquitlam, BC facility.
The Application Engineer has the primary responsibility for providing advanced technical and applications support for Eaton Wireless Mobile Machine Control products in pre- and post-sales activities. In this role, your activities will include delivering training and support for products and applications to front line sales, integrators, distributors, service personnel, and end customers; contributing to the business’ growth with new development programs, existing product enhancements and changes, and providing direct customer support for Engineered to Order (ETO) solutions.
The incumbent must be able to represent Eaton and work well with people at all levels of the customers’ organizations. Internally, the incumbent will work with Sales and Marketing, Customer Service, Engineering, Product Management and other Eaton teams as required. Some travel to customers, field sales offices, and tradeshows may be required.
Making what matters work at Eaton takes the passion of every employee around the world. We create an environment where creativity, invention and discovery become reality, each and every day. It’s where bold, bright professionals like you can reach your full potential—and where you can help us reach ours.
- You will define customer requirements for application development. Implement custom application to products through utilizing the tools available within the product portfolio
- You will provide direct support to sales and customers in the pre-sales, design, and engineering development phases of Engineered to Order (ETO) solutions. Author technical documentation of optimized product solutions for product literature, sales tools, and service warranty.
- You will be communicating with external customers and internal teams, and take ownership to identify and fill knowledge gaps.
- You will support sales to collect requirements and develop product applications for new and existing customers.
- You will collect VOC in the frontline during the day-to-day interaction with customers.
- You will work with cross-functional teams in sales & marketing, R&D, manufacturing, service, operations, and the customers to deliver complete solutions.
- You will develop and deliver training materials for internal and external audiences including presentations, application notes, white papers, O&M manuals, etc.
- You will provide on-site field support to conduct root cause analysis and develop remedial solutions.
When we embrace the different ideas, perspectives and backgrounds that make each of us unique, we — as individuals and as a company — are stronger.
Eaton has in place accessibility policies for accommodating employees with disabilities. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodations, please let the recruiter or hiring manager know so that we can work to make reasonable adjustments that best suit your needs. Accessibility information may be found at: http://www.eatoncanada.ca/EatonCA/OurCompany/Accessibility/index.htm”
Required (Basic) Qualifications:
- Diploma in electronics or Bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution
- Minimum of 5 years of engineering experience with C/C++ programming
- Minimum of 2 years of experience in developing electronic control equipment
- Must be legally authorized to work in Canada without company sponsorship and have a valid passport for travel as needed
- No relocation is being offered for this role. All considered candidates must reside within 120km of the Port Coquitlam, BC Eaton location.
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering or engineering technology from an accredited institution
- Master degree in engineering or computer science with a strong focus on electronic systems from an accredited institution
- 7+ years of engineering experience with electronic control equipment, PLC systems and C programming.
- Experience with wireless systems for Mobile Machine Control applications
- Proficient with PLC technology and familiar with IEC 61131-3 PLC standard
- Familiar with CANbus (SAE-J1939 or CANopen) and similar bus technologies
- Familiar with hydraulic valve technology and large hydraulic machines
Position Success Criteria:
- Ability to travel internationally (US)
- Working experience in the hydraulic and electronic control system industry
- Proficient with C/C++ programming, including the development of libraries and functions specific to customer applications
- Familiar with C/C++ standards
- Analytical problem-solver capable of interfacing with customers
- Ability to perform on-site troubleshooting and analysis of customer problems and deploy solutions rapidly under pressure
- Proficiency with engineering tools for design and software development, verification, debugging
- Experience and knowledge with handling laboratory electrical equipment for test and debugging
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to travel (up to 25%)
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – Canada
Organization: VEH EMB eMobility
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time