Manager, Global Business Communications
Eaton’s Vehicle Group Headquarters has an opening for a Manager, Global Business Communications in either Southfield or Galesburg, MI
This person will lead the strategic planning, development, deployment and measurement of global business communications activities across a strategic business unit and key market segments for Vehicle Group (VG) in support of the Eaton brand. The role also advises and supports the VG global leadership in the strategic management of communications between the organization and its key stakeholders (employees, customers, channel partners, local communities and trade media). Develops and implement group-wide and division-specific strategic communications plans that increase employee engagement, drive behaviors that support our cultural evolution, support business objectives and raise awareness of Eaton. Collaborates with Industrial Sector and Corporate Communications to ensure alignment and consistency in corporate and business objectives.
- Counsel and advise executive, functional, regional, and business unit leaders on the management of communications issues; provide tools to the leaders to help them become better communicators; set group-level communications policies consistent with corporate policy.
- Build and maintain organizational capacity, particularly to support the business unit’s global growth opportunities in key market segments – with in-country communicators (agency and Eaton communicators) at the group and corporate level
- Develop internal and external global communications strategies for the business unit and key market segments which support business objectives; implement the corporate communications strategy at the group level to help build “One Eaton”.
- Establish tools and processes for two-way communication with key internal and external stakeholders (internal announcements, speeches, presentations, newsletters, brochures, surveys, web-enabled tools, videos, special events, etc); integrate a variety of communications tactics and disciplines for maximum thought leadership.
- Proactively identify issues, potential crises and opportunities for the business unit and key market segments. Support Sector and Corporate Communications in the management of issues and crises.
- Lead the global media relations function for the business unit and key market segments in collaboration with the group, sector and Corporate Communications; overseeing the preparation of written materials such as news releases, holding statements and Q&A documents; serve as a spokesperson for the group.
- Develop and oversee execution of local media relations plans and programs at key VG manufacturing sites globally (local business communication team members will be responsible for the tactical execution).
- Be a spokesperson for the business unit, providing a public voice in collaboration with Sector and Corporate Communications and business unit leadership,
- In collaboration with business unit leadership, Legal, Human Resources, Sector and Corporate Internal Communications, direct the development and implementation of segment-wide and operations-specific employee communications plans and programs to support global business goals, manage change, and to build and strengthen employee understanding, alignment and engagement.
- Manage communications supplier and consultant relationships for optimum value to Eaton.
- Demonstrate fiscal accountability in budgets and cost-benefit analysis of communications activities, including program R.O.I. and functional scoreboards
- Demonstrated track record in developing and executing strategic programs in a complex multi-billion dollar global business; proven ability to advance the business through communications programs
- Knowledge of communications theory and practice: Understanding of communications as a two-way process and its use in influencing perceptions, attitudes, and behaviors; broad exposure to and understanding of the integrated disciplines of the communication function (i.e. media relations, employee communications, branding and corporate identity, financial communications, marketing communications, community relations); ability to provide communications counsel to the company’s leaders
- Strategic communications planning skills: Ability to: define communications objectives which are aligned with business objectives; analyze and interpret information, business conditions, stakeholder positions and other variables in order to develop a framework for strategic communications; define strategic and measurable objectives; adjust the strategy in response to or anticipation of changing conditions; design and deploy quantitative and qualitative research
- Project management skills: Ability to: lead the planning, implementation, and evaluation of projects according to established processes; serve as a consultant for internal and external customers
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills: Ability to: synthesize complex information; understand the needs and interests of target audiences; define and articulate messages; generate effective and compelling content for a variety of vehicles (news releases, articles, Q&A documents); create and edit copy; develop and deliver effective presentations
- Issues management: Ability to: anticipate emerging issues that have the potential to impact revenue or reputation; reconcile differences in internal opinions on how to respond to issues; persuade others of the need for action; devise and lead response plans
- Crisis communications management: Ability to: anticipate potential crises; develop and implement crisis communications plans and procedures; respond to urgent and threatening situations; apply experience; immediately mobilize and deploy resources
- Knowledge of graphic design and production: Understanding of graphic design including composition, color, imagery, motion, and sound across the spectrum of communications methods (presentation, digital, written, video, etc.), and successful experience with the production processes for those methods
- Knowledge of new communications technology: Successful experience with new digital media as communications tools and an understanding of their potential role in reaching strategic business objectives
- Minimum 10 years of experience as a communications professional is required, include broad-reaching responsibilities in internal and external communications working in a corporation or via a combination of agency and corporate experience.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States on an ongoing basis without company sponsorship
- An undergraduate degree is required. A Master’s degree is preferred.
- Eaton recognizes this role as a critical position within the corporation and will create a compelling package consisting of a base salary, a performance incentive bonus and complete benefits
- This person will be located in Eaton’s Vehicle Group Headquarters in either Southfield or Galesburg, MI
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: VEH PDMP MKT
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time