Lead Application engineer_VT
The primary functions of the Lead Engineer are managing and executing all level and knowledge of valve train application. Be able to work independently with minimal supervision or managerial oversight. As an engineering customer service position, the Lead Engineer is the Senior engineering contact and works together with the Account Manager to provide the necessary services to the customer. The business situation and individual skills may dictate the method of meeting these responsibilities, but the end result will always be superior customer service and the advancement of the business. They are responsible for establishing valve train system as a Leader in providing technology-driven application solutions. This work includes: acting as the project Senior for APQP documentation, acting as the voice of the customer regarding Part Design review prior to presentation to the customer, communicating and negotiating the Verification and Validation Testing to both meet customer expectation and minimize overall project costs incurred and timing required to complete this phase, and communicating any required Failure Analysis reports. This position is responsible for performing the necessary job functions needed to fully support customer projects, which in turn must generate increasing revenues and earnings for Eaton. As operation support role, This position will provide Quality Engineering support for new and existing products and processes, including capability assessments, process development, process variability reduction, root-cause analysis, and corrective/preventive action. The successful candidate will support the development of, maintain, and continually improve Global Valve Train’s Global Business Management System and provide all necessary quality assurance and engineering supports.
• Coordinates all product development work for assigned programs and ensures engineering objectives are met.
• Reads and interprets engineering drawings and specifications. Develops and issues test procedures, and works with the team to create product specification in area of expertise.
• Practices consistency across product designs, processes and practices. Documents improvements to the engineering standard work processes used to engineer our products
• Work with Product Engineers in the design of valve train solutions that meet customer requirements, to coordinate to conducts product/system analysis through valvettrain kinematics (UVGS), and dynamic simulation (Adams), static and dynamic FEA, calculations and related means. Understand and interpret results to identify problems, make change recommendations and make product/system improvements; to conceptualize realistic designs finally, preferably during real-time conversations with the customer.
• Creates technical project plans and oversees the validation activities for new engineering concepts. As APQP Project Leader as well, to conduct regular reviews of
• open issues list and progress toward timely completion of program timing; manage process to ensure milestone commitments are met. Reports test results in a clear and concise manner, and makes design recommendations. And assist Process Request for Quotes (RFQ) and Sample Orders (SO).
• Champions development and implementation of new engineering systems and processes. Improves existing engineering systems and processes. Trains others in the use of engineering systems
• Learns and applies technical skills related to mechanical and electrical systems toward establishing new test methods and supporting new product development engineering activities
• Provides technical expertise for assigned program teams and acts as an internal consultant assisting others as needed
• For all development failures, durability return parts and any customer complain including field return parts, to initiate analysis on returned product for failure mode and report results to the customer, and assist in root cause analysis of EOT (End of Test) or field returned parts.
• Participates in customer activities with Sales to demonstrate product technology and engineering capabilities toward earning new business, and manage customer requests and expectations to ensure our customer maintains a positive perception of Eaton. Creates and performs product training program for customers and internal team members.
• Applies an adequate level of computer literacy in the areas of engineering systems software, graphics, presentations, and multimedia.
• Complies with the policies, procedures, and expectations outlined by Eaton’s Management System for the Environment, Safety, Security, and Health (MESH) and Quality Management System
Basic Qualifications (must be non-comparative, objective, and relevant):
- Bachelor’s Degree in Internal Combustion Engine or Machinery Design from an accredited institution
- More than 8 years of engineering experience
Preferred Qualifications (what an ideal candidate would possess):
· Bachelor’s degree in Internal Combustion Engine or machinery from an accredited institution
· Masters in Engineering or Business from an accredited institution
· At least 8 years of engineering experience in a product development environment
· At least 3 years of experience with vehicle engine technologies (advanced boosting, valves, valve actuation technology)
· Large scale, cross-functional project team experience
· Familiarity and experience using DFSS and/or DFM engineering tools
· Experience working with international locations and customers
· Experience with engine testing methods is highly desirable
- Self-motivated with strong customer focus and availability, flexibility and maturity to represent the company at a broad range of events in the community, with customers and within the company.
- Ability to interface with clients, obtain new work and determine their requirements to develop proposals including cost estimates, work plan and terms and conditions.
- Flexibility and comfort working in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to remain calm when faced with mounting pressure related to deadlines and multiple priorities.
- Well-developed oral and written communication skills to meet a variety of communication needs; and team player and able to manage multiple priorities while considering the inputs from a variety of stakeholders (presentations, training and development, Leadership).
- Strong interpersonal skills that foster open upward and downward communication built on mutual respect.
- Strong ethics, values, and the ability to influence and impact others’ decision-making
- Ability to deal with ambiguity and make objective decisions based on engineering analysis
· Coaches/trains less experienced engineers
· Active member in relevant external councils, organizations, societies, committees, etc. and may co-author or write publicationsParticipates in submitting benchmarking analysis, patent disclosures and generating IP and publications in support of business needs. Demonstrated publication record in the scholarly and peer-reviewed literature, record of membership and service to professional societies.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: VEH Vehicle Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time