Specialist Application Engineer
- Interprets customer functional needs and converts these to technical requirements including drawings, technical specifications and written requirements for complete systems.
- Creates system schematics and BOMs using group-standard design software tools with appropriate analysis and sizing work to elegantly exceed basic customer requirements. Develops system solutions and intellectual property that are unique and innovative to the industry.
- Completes technical proposals and/or system quotations which meet customer machine specifications and commercial requirements.
- Defines/specifies system control algorithms in group-standard software to meet customer requirements for system control.
- Commissions/starts-up/troubleshoots our solutions at customer site to validate our products/systems on customer equipment.
- Coordinates with internal departments (peers, sales, product management, product engineering, global marketing) and customers for application projects and new product launches. Supervises and coordinates efforts of project based teams.
- Handles multiple projects simultaneously with backup plans to address unanticipated hurdles. Anticipates business drivers and uses these to proactively manage project priorities.
- Maintains a working knowledge of our products, applications where our products fit and their value propositions to our customers. Recognized as a technical expert on multiple product lines and platforms, such that others “want to know what you think about a platform application”.
- Maintains an understanding of our markets, platforms and applications in Mobile or Industrial segments; considered an expert in several.
- Leverages product knowledge and systems capability to develop materials for technical dissemination (such as white papers, webinars, and publications).
- Directs a team of application engineers serving a portion of our systems or products.
- Bachelor’s degree from an accredited university in Engineering or a technical field.
- Minimum of 7 years of technical experience in hydraulics and/or controls.
- Unrestricted US driver’s license.
- Legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- Master’s degree from an accredited university in Engineering or a technical field.
- Minimum of 10 years of technical experience in hydraulics and/or controls.
- A strong mechanical and mathematical aptitude and the ability to apply concepts of calculus, physics, algebra, geometry and trigonometry are required.
- Solid application understanding of electro-hydraulic principals and control architecture (such as IC 6-1131, Codesys 3.x, CANopen, J1939 CANBus and other industry standards).
- Ability to specify, apply and support development of control algorithms for electronic controls for specialty applications using current portfolio.
- Experience in reading, creating and modifying system designs (schematics, layouts, installations, etc.) in current group software platforms.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: HYD Hydraulics Group
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: Yes
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time