Engineering Manager - Media Products
Eaton is a power management company with 2017 sales of $20.4 billion. Eaton provides energy-efficient solutions that help our customers effectively manage electrical, hydraulic and mechanical power more efficiently, safely and sustainably. Eaton has approximately 96,000 employees and sells products to customers in more than 175 countries. For more information, visit www.eaton.com.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters.
The primary function of this role is to manage the Research and Development function through technology development, introduction (PROLaunch), product support (application and technical support), product maintenance, and rationalization. The position will have direct oversight of the media R&D engineering staff and facilities or equipment.
· Support growth by managing product line development projects through PROLaunch-NPI and VA/VE activities.
· Ensures excellence in Engineering through the use of best practice methods, processes and tools.
· Manage direct personnel development including performance reviews, training plans and development needs. Accurately access and utilize the capabilities of others, positively motivating others to succeed. In addition, manage talent in and out of the organization as necessary.
· Establish balanced scorecard metrics and continuously monitor to improve team performance and alignment to Region and Divisional goals.
· Review and approve technical documentation including but not limited to change orders and requests, drawings, specifications, calculations, bills of material, test plans and technical reports.
· Utilize a broad base of knowledge to rapidly and efficiently design, develop, test, maintain and continuously improve products and reliability. Lead the generation of new ideas and document them appropriately for possible patent protection or to reserve as trade secrets.
· Rapidly respond to both customer and internal technical support needs.
· Manage the Media Engineering budget which allows the group to advance while also falling within profit plan expectations.
· Promote teamwork with Operations manufacturing engineers, SCM staff to ensure proper handoff of designs to global manufacturing sites and partner vendors for successful customer order fulfillment.
· Oversees the operation of the media R&D testing facility and technicians to provide high quality analytical and product validation testing services in a safe and cost effective environment.
· Maintain close liaison with the sales and marketing functions and end customers, as related to application reviews, and new product requirements.
· Report on progress of projects and identify critical issues that need to be addressed utilizing sound communication skills.
Qualifications and Knowledge:
· Bachelor of Science in Engineering degree is required. Master’s or PHD in textiles or material science of fibrous and polymeric materials is preferred.
· Minimum requirement of 3-5 years work experience
· Personnel management training or successful leadership demonstration is required.
· A thorough technical knowledge of cellulose depth filter materials, their applications, development and manufacturing is desired.
· The ability to effectively supervise people and motivate subordinates, while maintaining organizational harmony and meeting scheduled deadlines.
· To initiate preventative, rather than corrective Engineering action.
· Strong problem solving and Project Management skills.
· Ability to manage engineering peers at remote locations.
· Effective communication skills up and down the organization - both written and verbal.
· Ability to work with functions outside of Engineering for the common good of Eaton.
· Strong English and German language skills
What Eaton offers:
· Excellent working environment – safety and ethics is really important for us
· Culture & Values - Eaton is more than the products we invent and produce – the way we do business is just as important. At Eaton, our values and culture define who we are – both individually and as an organization – and direct our activities every day
· Learning & Development - We invest in our employees for the long term – not just with salary and benefits, but with ongoing learning and development opportunities made available through Eaton University
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Europe, Middle East, Africa
Organization: HYD FFD Fluid Filtration Division
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: No
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time