Power Electronics Design Specialist
Eaton’s PE CoE accelerates the company’s growth through the development of power electronics technology platforms and common hardware building blocks that are scalable, cost-effective, and manufacturable as well as standardized design methodologies that can be adopted by multiple business units, which provides a foundation for our business to more rapidly develop innovative products.
Leads electronics circuit design and development activities and demonstrates start-finish ownership for the assigned projects and tasks.
Performs design, modeling, simulation and implementation of analog, digital, and power circuits electronics including micro-processors/controllers, DSP’s, FPGA’s, gate drivers, sensor interfaces, and SMPS for power conversion and protection
Performs analog/mixed signal and power circuits functional testing
Develops the technical requirements for and identify components for the designs.
Creates technical reports and presentations.
Generates necessary documentation (e.g. schematics, layouts, drawings, BOMs, etc.)
Builds and measures test circuits. Analyzes data to improve/optimize the designs.
Collaborates with power electronics, mechanical, thermal, and firmware engineers to successfully develop and validate the designs
Evaluates the designs to meet requirements factoring in performance, size, cost, manufacturability, and reliability.
Stays current with the latest electronics circuit technologies and applies knowledge to power conversion and protection applications.
Mentors, assigns tasks and determines priority for project team members as needed
Interfaces with Business Unit (BU) engineers and Corporate Research and Technology (CRT) scientists.
- Bachelor’s degree in Electrical Engineering and a minimum of 7 years of engineering experience in designing, developing and testing analog, digital, and power circuits
Significant experience in circuit modeling and simulation with tools such as SPICE or Simplis
- Significant hands-on experience with analog, digital, and power circuits development and testing
- Strong understanding of circuit theory and signal integrity as it applies to circuit layout (e.g. PCB layout)
- PCB layout experience and knowledge of PCB assembly process
- Familiar with test equipment such as oscilloscopes, signal generators, power supplies and other standard EE lab equipment
- Experience in designing high speed electronics
- Experience in designing electronics with thermal and reliability consideration (e.g. electronic simulation for DfR and DfM or worst case analysis)
- Experience working in diverse cultural situations with global customers and team members
- Demonstrated knowledge of engineering processes
- Design for Six Sigma certification
- Self-motivated and goal oriented individual.
- Good communication and presentation skills
- Collaborative orientation, the ability to succeed in a highly team oriented, global, and diverse environment.
- Consistently acts in an ethical, open, honest, trustworthy and truthful manner.
- Desire for innovation, new product development, program management … to make what matters work!
- Occasional domestic and international travel required as needed.
- Customer focused with good relationship building and communication skills
- Ability to demonstrate problem solving using logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions
- Ability to learn new skills, knowledge, industry, or products
- Strong written communication and verbal communication skills
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: Electrical Sector
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time