Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Sr. Engineer-Big Data Developer
Eaton Corporation’s Center for Connected Intelligent Solutions (CCIS) has an opening for a Software Engineer who is passionate about his or her craft. The Software Engineer will be directly involved in the architecture, design, and development of an Internet of Things platform. Although Eaton is an established company with a diverse product portfolio, this IoT platform project exhibits many of the characteristics of a start-up initiative. This IoT platform, being developed from the ground-up, will be utilized by Eaton product teams (including the CCIS) as a framework on which to build and extend customer facing applications and solutions.
So, if you’re an experienced software professional yearning to work on a project leveraging the latest software technologies and trends such as IoT, NoSQL, big data, open source, DevOps, microservices, mobile, and cybersecurity, this is the position for you! Not only will you be working with some amazing technology, you’ll also be part of an enthusiastic team of software professionals working to make an immediate organizational impact and having lots of fun along the way!
- Work with your team and others contributing to the architecture, design, and implementation of an optimized set of data stores that support an Internet of Things platform. Development will be primarily in Java and Python.
- Design stable, reliable and effective databases that run in the cloud
- Create programs and queries that extract data in an optimized fashion as needed by the business
- Demonstrate and document solutions by using flowcharts, diagrams, code comments, code snippets, and performance instruments.
- Provide work estimates and participate in design, implementation, and code reviews.
- Execute agile work plans for iterative and incremental project delivery.
- Maintain job knowledge by studying software development techniques, database technologies, and programming languages.
- Participate in educational opportunities and read professional publications.
- Work with test teams to ensure adequate and appropriate test case coverage; investigate and fix bugs; create automated test scripts.
- Evaluate the data needs of the business and determine potential solutions.
Expected to develop an understanding of Eaton’s Agile development process and integrate daily product development activities as necessary to work within its constraints.
Describe any specialized knowledge or skill (e.g., technical, scientific, administrative, managerial) which your position requires.
Requires a minimum of a Bachelor’s degree in computer science/engineering
· 6+ years of experience in the software industry with a proven track record of shipping high quality data-focused solutions
· 6+ years of progressive experience in developing and designing database solutions
· Working knowledge of Linux and Windows operating systems and their associated development platforms
· Experienced in Java and/or Python and associated IDE’s (Eclipse, IntelliJ, etc.)
· Solid understanding of relational and non-relational database systems
· Solid understanding of database design principles
· Solid understanding of data management, security, backup/restore, and monitoring principles and best practices
· Ability to write code that interfaces with SQL and NoSQL data stores in an optimized fashion for data storage, data extraction, and ETL
· Working knowledge of one other programming language (Java, C#, C++, Python, etc.)
· Proven experience with Agile development methodologies and concepts
· Strong problem solving and software debugging skills
· Excellent verbal and written communication skills including the ability to effectively explain technical concepts
· Abreast of upcoming software development/engineering tools, trends, and methodologies
· Good judgment, time management, and decision-making skills
· Working knowledge of Hadoop and HBase
· Knowledge of CI/CD concepts, tools, and technologies
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: Asia Pacific
Organization: INNOV Innovation Center
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time