Technology Manager, Electromechanical Systems
Eaton’s Corporate Research and Technology (CRT) Center in Southfield, MI, has an opening for a Technology Manager – Electromechanical Systems - within the Machine Systems Technologies Department.
Reporting to our Global Technology Director, this person will be responsible for managing a team of scientists & engineers specializing in electromechanical systems for vehicles and aerospace, with the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses. The manager will stimulate the search for creative technology advances in the areas of hybrid power systems, electric vehicle components and systems, electrical machines, and mechatronics, The manager will also be required to identify significant business opportunities to leverage those advances and drive the realization of those opportunities in order to drive growth within Eaton.
The manager will also be responsible for meeting the schedule,
scope, cost and technical targets for all research and development efforts
under his/her control, as well as developing and managing relationships
with Eaton business leaders and stakeholders, while maintaining a sound
business case for the project portfolio.
- Champion global technology realization programs utilizing our internal agile project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews.
- Direct the development of advanced technology projects, monitor achievements and review progress
- Collaborate with Program Managers in the development of detailed project plans
- Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process
- Manage project scope and customer relationships while maintaining customer satisfaction
- Monitor and report overall performance of portfolio projects. Responsible for periodic Project Status Reports, Quarterly Reports and other reports using specified reporting processes
- Develop global strategies for technology roadmaps that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies. Create action plans to drive strategies to realization
- Identify, evaluate and transfer leading technologies that pertain to existing, as well as potentially new product lines
- Implement policies and procedures on the safeguarding of proprietary engineering matters and monitor adherence
- Foster an environment for creativity while promoting the generation of value added intellectual property
- Maintain and defend existing patents that cover the technology needs of the businesses
- Find and incorporate best practices in Electromechanical system technologies from outside Eaton Corporation
- Cultivate and manage relationships with institutions of advanced learning and maintain a linkage to leading peer corporations and universities
- Train, develop, and motivate subordinates to achieve their professional goals
- Lead and develop employees and fully utilize resources to meet global objectives
- Facilitate global communication and cooperation between locations
- Ability to work with a globally dispersed technical team and be influential on key global technology initiatives
- 12+ years’ of experience in product development including 6+ years’ hands on embedded software development experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in managing Research and Technology Programs in industry (R&D or product engineering) and/or academia (at least 10 years of industry experience)
- Ability to drive system level analysis, design, and optimization of electromechanical systems, including multi-physics modeling and simulation, architecture trade studies, and techno-economic modeling
- Experience with hybrid and fully electric machines in the fields of vehicles and/or aerospace
- Willing and able to apply six sigma methodologies including QFD, design of experiments, and reliability engineering in the course of their work. Green belt or black belt certification in DFSS or DMAIC is highly desired
- Proven track record of delivering technology concepts through to commercialization is desired.
- Possess strong business acumen and the ability to understand and formulate compelling value propositions
- Demonstrated track record working from customer requirements through systems architecture concepts through to a multi-generation product plan
- Proven track record for IP generation and publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals is desired
- Experience in writing government proposals is also desired; demonstrated success as evidenced by being selected for funding and successful execution of government sponsored projects is preferred
- Collaborative orientation, with good interpersonal and teaming behaviors
- Globally astute. Understands how to adapt communication style to fit different cultures.
- Position requires up to 20% travel domestic and internationally
An undergraduate degree is required; a Master’s degree in one of the following fields is also required: Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, and/or Mechatronics. A PhD is preferred
Eaton recognizes this role as a critical position within the corporation and will create a compelling package consisting of a base salary, a performance incentive bonus and complete benefits
This person will be located in Eaton’s Corporate Research and Technology (CRT) Center, in Southfield, MI
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time