Lead Embedded Software Engineer
Ethical - We play by the rules and act with integrity. We are proud of our actions.
Passionate - We care deeply about what we do. We set high expectations and we perform.
Accountable - We seek responsibility and take ownership. We do what we say.
Efficient - We value speed and simplicity.
Transparent - We say what we think. We make it okay to disagree.
Learn - We are curious, adaptable, and willing to teach what we know.
Healthcare/retirement savings programs to support you now and as you plan for the future
Wellness programs and resources to support the wellbeing of you and your family
Tuition assistance or financial help for ongoing learning and development
Paid time off with vacation and holiday observance
Flexible work options to help balance work/life demands (at participating Eaton sites)
Donation matching (US, Canada, Puerto Rico)
Recognition programs for a wide range of achievements
Referral program to reward you for helping us find the right candidate
Competitive compensation packages to reward skills and performance
Paid parental leave for birthing and non-birthing parents
Casual dress policy that allows jeans in the office
- Lead the development of prototype solutions for Eaton’s Linux-based and RTOS based platforms including developing architectures, writing software, maintaining quality, implementing and maintaining processes and written technical specifications
- Developing reusable C++ code for Eaton’s Linux-based, Ethernet-enabled, multi-protocol communications Toolkit and associated products
- Taking a leading role in developing, documenting and unit testing C++ code and solutions for use on specialized hardware running Linux
- Involved in technical design including architectural and more detailed object oriented design
- Working with and learning from a strong team with a track record of creating quality products
- Research new requirements and develop high level designs
- Provide design document to help adopters implement their product using the prototype
- Develop a detailed understanding of the Eaton software architecture platforms and ongoing development efforts, in order to fully participate in software development, technical reviews and maintenance efforts
- Develop, document and review source code in a continuous integration environment
- Support technology development projects and work with global teams and external resources (Business Divisions, Universities and Customers)
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Software Engineering or Electrical Engineering from an accredited institution
- 5+ years of progressive experience in the development of software for network-enabled products utilizing object-oriented design techniques on embedded systems
- 2+ years of recent experience developing C++ applications in a Linux environment.
- 3+ years of extensive experience in embedded C++ programming, Device Drivers, data structures on embedded systems
- Masters in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or related discipline from an accredited institution
- Experience with RTOS platforms for embedded devices
- Experience developing embedded Linux firmware
- Physical (memory, processor utilization) resource budgeting experience
- Experience developing toolkits / SDKs used in diverse applications
- Relevant experience designing in-app test functionality or appropriate test APIs
- Experience with Linux network device security, developing with secure network protocols, participating in and performing security audit
- Experience with a range of industrial communicating products including industrial control, power metering, data center and power utility
- Experience with static and dynamic code analysis tools
- Experience designing real-time control systems
- Full understanding of Linux Kernel, BSP and toolchains
- Full understanding of key computer science concepts (data structures, algorithms, etc.)
- Strong problem solving and embedded software debugging skills
- Technical Learning - Abreast of current software development/engineering methodologies
- Familiarity with configuration/change management processes and tools
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills, particularly with respect to written and oral communication, including the ability to explain technical concepts
Demonstrable experience using Eclipse IDE in Linux
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time