Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Engineering Specialist - Energy Storage Systems
Eaton is seeking a Engineering Specialist – Energy Storage Systems to join our progressive and dynamic enterprise software and cloud development group in Southfield, MI!
Corporate Research & Technology focuses on the front end of innovation by: conducting research to advance the state of the art, emphasizing cross-business impact technologies, and innovating to provide Eaton’s customers’ with safe, efficient, and reliable power management solutions.
The Machine Systems Technology team has the principal goal of identifying, developing, and justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse Eaton businesses in the area of advanced energy storage management system for electric power grid, commercial and industrial systems, residential systems and vehicle applications.
The Engineering Specialist is expected to lead technology strategy and execution for specific applications. This includes acquiring resources, funding and establishing key partnerships both internally and externally to drive technological advancement. They will be responsible for meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all research and development efforts under his/her control.
The Engineering Specialist should serve as a subject matter expert within the area of energy storage technologies for vehicle and grid applications for Eaton. This includes developing and maintaining relationships with the external technical community and academia, active participation in industry or technical groups and events, publishing papers, etc. Finally as a subject matter expert internally the Engineering Specialist will be expected to mentor junior staff and consult with internal business & engineering customers
- Leads complex global technology realization programs/projects utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews.
- Project lead is the single point of contact for the entire project. Responsible for creating, executing and tracking all the milestones for the entire project. Assigns roles and responsibilities for the project team members.
- Program lead is responsible for setting the strategy for an entire program that can encompass multiple projects. Responsible to assign project leads and technical leads for all program activities. The single point of contact to upper management for all program activities.
- Serve as (or support) Program Managers in the development of detailed project plans and value proposition. Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process.
- Leads the development of strategies for technology roadmaps for specific applications that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies.
- Participates and presents in ideation events (Innovation Summits, Design Bursts, etc.)
- Serves as Principal Investigator in government proposal preparation and/or project execution
- Initiates and develops solid relationships with both engineering and business leaders within Eaton to drive strong business cases for new commercial applications and acquire needed resources and funding
- Identifies leading external partnerships, outside technologies and best practices to bring to Eaton
- Leads open innovation events with universities and external institutes that align with Power Block strategy
- Serves as a subject matter expert externally and internally. This includes leadership/active participation in external industry and technical groups, mentoring junior level staff and consulting internal business and engineering partners.
- Actively contributes to and guides team members on IP generation
- Participates in department and CRT process improvements and is able to teach standard processes and tools to junior staff
- Master’s degree in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution required and minimum of 6 years of experience in energy storage system development for grid and/or vehicle applications
- PhD in Mechanical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, or Chemical Engineering from an accredited institution required and minimum of 3 years of experience in energy storage system development for grid and/or vehicle applications.
- Experience with energy storage technology solution development for grid and/or vehicle applications, including understanding requirements, evaluating technology feasibility, developing system design specifications, and verification and validation test plans. Track record of success in defining / validating use case with Li-ion battery.
- Advanced working knowledge of battery energy storage and storage technologies, battery materials, electrochemistry. Hands-on experience with Li-ion batteries in prototyping system-level use cases.
- Demonstrated expertise in battery model development for evaluation of performance and lifetime, development and implementation of estimation algorithms, through track record of IP generation and publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals.
- Proficient in using system simulation tools such as Matlab/Simulink, SimPower tools, PSCAD, and real-time control prototyping systems like DSpace, OpalRT for hardware in the loop simulation and prototype systems.
- Knowledge of IEEE/IEC/ANSI/CSA/UL Standards for various energy storage system components and applications and ISO, UL safety regulations and principles.
- Experience in leading large projects with multiple stakeholders and cross-functional teams. Strong program management skill is required.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Individual Contributor
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within United States and / or Puerto Rico
Travel: Yes, 10 % of the Time