Please enter a valid email.
Unfortunately, our network is not responding. Please try again later.
Your job alert was successfully created.
Research and Technology Manager
Eaton’s Corporate Research and Technology (CRT) located in Southfield, Michigan has an opening for a Technology Manager for Integrated Materials Processing (IMP), within the Materials and Processing Group.
manager will be responsible for managing a team of scientists & engineers
specializing in IMP with the principal goal of identifying, developing, and
justifying commercialization of significant growth opportunities for diverse
Eaton businesses. The manager should stimulate the search for creative
technology advances in the areas of Design for Additive Manufacturing, Factory
of the Future, multiscale materials simulation, process scale up, advanced
materials characterization, process control, and qualification. The manager is
required to identify significant business opportunities to leverage those
advances and drive the realization of those opportunities in order to drive
growth within Eaton and the IMP group. The manager will be responsible for
meeting the schedule, scope, cost and technical targets for all research and
development efforts under his/her control, as well as developing and managing
customer relationships with Eaton business leaders & stakeholders and
maintaining a sound business case for the project portfolio.
In addition to the above responsibilities, this individual must collaborate with the various product teams, application engineering, divisional engineering and the global marketing organization to create technology roadmaps and develop critical engineering capabilities, both resources and tools, that help the business grow. The manager is also responsible for developing and maintaining relationships with the external technical community and academia, and leveraging these partnerships for significant advancements in research in the area of advanced materials and manufacturing as relevant for Eaton. Specifically, the candidate will provide leadership to the department in terms of guidance, coaching and development of the technical staff; selection and retention of employees; management of the project portfolio; and administrative leadership for the department.
Essential Functions include:
- Champion global technology realization programs utilizing our internal project execution processes, including Gate Reviews, Design Reviews, and Technical Reviews.
- Direct the development of advanced technology projects, monitor achievements and review progress. Collaborate with Program Managers in the development of detailed project plans. Lead globally diverse cross-functional project teams effectively and manage selected projects under the guidelines of our internal stage-gate process.
- Manage customer relationships, maintaining customer satisfaction and manage the scope appropriately. Monitor and report overall performance of portfolio projects. Responsible for periodic Project Status Reports, Quarterly Reports and other reports using specified reporting processes.
- Develop global strategies for technology roadmaps that are linked to and supportive of the overall CRT and business strategies. Create action plans to drive strategies to realization.
- Identify, evaluate and transfer leading technologies that pertain to existing, as well as, potentially new product lines.
- Implement policies and procedures on the safeguarding of proprietary engineering matters and monitors adherence.
- Find and incorporate best practices in materials processing and characterization technologies from outside Eaton Corporation. Cultivate and manage relationships with institutions of advanced learning and maintain a linkage to leading peer corporations and Universities to accomplish this.
- Masters of Science in one of the following fields: Materials Engineering, Materials Science, Mechanical Engineering, Chemical Engineering, Chemistry, Physics
- Minimum of 10 years of industry experience
- Minimum 3 years of experience in managing Research and Technology Programs and teams, in industry (R&D or product engineering) or academia.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without company sponsorship.
- This position requires use of information or access to hardware which is subject to the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR). All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of ITAR. ITAR defines a U.S. person as a U.S. Citizen, U.S. Permanent Resident (i.e. 'Green Card Holder'), Political Asylee, or Refugee.
- Willing and able to apply six sigma methodologies including QFD, design of experiments, and reliability engineering in the course of their work. Green belt or black belt certification in DFSS or DMAIC is highly desired.
- Proven track record of delivering technology concepts through to commercialization is desired.
- Possess strong business acumen and the ability to understand and formulate compelling value propositions.
- Demonstrated track record working from customer requirements through systems architecture concepts through to a multi-generation product plan. Ideally the candidate will have experience executing the entire cycle.
- Proven track record for IP generation and publications in reputable peer-reviewed journals is desired.
- Experience in writing government proposals is also desired; demonstrated success as evidenced by being selected for funding and successful execution of government sponsored projects is preferred.
We make what matters work. Everywhere you look—from the technology and machinery that surrounds us, to the critical services and infrastructure that we depend on every day—you’ll find one thing in common. It all relies on power. That’s why Eaton is dedicated to improving people’s lives and the environment with power management technologies that are more reliable, efficient, safe and sustainable. Because this is what matters. We are confident we can deliver on this promise because of the attributes that our employees embody. We’re ethical, passionate, accountable, efficient, transparent and we’re committed to learning. These values enable us to tackle some of the toughest challenges on the planet, never losing sight of what matters.
Region: North America – US/Puerto Rico
Organization: CTO Corporate Technology Office
Job Level: Manager
Is remote work (i.e. working from home or another Eaton facility) allowed for this position?: No
Does this position offer relocation?: Relocation from within hiring country only
Travel: Yes, 25 % of the Time